cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Avoid multiple repeated actions in Ms flow

Hi All,

I have implemented a ms flow which is triggered when an item is created in a sharepoint list. We have 3 levels of approvals (Primary/Secondary/Final) with timeout escalation. if any of the approver approved/rejected we are updating sharepoint list using update item and set content approval status as approval/rejected actions. Also we have a flow condition for approvals(weekday and Weekend).

Need Help: My flow having multiple Update item and Set Content Approval status as approval/rejected actions. Due to which flow became very lengthy.

Is there any way to avoid multiple actions. Parent and child flow will work for my scenario or any other way.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

If you set your flow to trigger when the Sharepoint list item is updated and then you update the Sharepoint list items in your Flow there is no way to stop this from happening. You could try changing the trigger when item is created and just update the item in the flow. This would stop it from triggering multiple times.

However if it needs to trigger when Sharepoint item is updated, there are a few things we can do. If you have set up fields to update when the approval is approved we could add a condition at the very beginning of the flow to check those fields and if they are blank to end the flow early.

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Alex,

My flow begins when an item is created in sharepoint list. It's having Update item and Set Content Approval status as approval/rejected actions after each approved/rejected actions for both weekdays and weekend.

If you have set your Flow to only run when an item is created and it keeps triggering when you update the action within the flow, then that is not something that should be happening. can you take a screenshot of your flow?

Super User II
Super User II

Hello @BKGOUD 

Please, have a look at this post by Serge Luca about State Machine Pattern: https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/11/26/new-flow-state-machine-pattern-with-unlimited-running-tim...

I used and it works great for processes like the one you described.

Hope it helps!

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (68,219)