cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mart1
Frequent Visitor

Avoiding multiple flow executions when per-column edits are submitted in SharePoint

Hi,

I have a flow which triggers on a new or changed item in a SharePoint list. The 'save' behaviour of SharePoint re-saves the item each time I edit a column and tab out to the next column. This causes my flow to trigger multiple times (i.e. each time a column is edited and the user tabs out of the field). It seems like this could become 'expensive' in terms of compute resource.

I understand it is possible to 'get changes for an item' and check whether a column of interest has changed. However, it seems like it would be costly to have the flow execute and run this test multiple times whilst a list item is being edited.

I would like to know is there a way to prevent multiple executions, perhaps by:

• configuring the SharePoint list so that traditional 'save/cancel' buttons are the only point-of-commit
  • trigger conditions that can detect whether a particular column has changed
  • some other approach, perhaps rethinking the list design or having a different trigger strategy (e.g. a scheduled sweep for particular column-level changes?)

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mart1
Frequent Visitor

I have just discovered that the trigger does not behave as I anticipated. It seems to poll for changed records rather than processing a queue of triggering events. Therefore, multiple intervening updates are not considered individual (multiple) trigger events; instead, the item having changed at all is the (single) trigger.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mart1
Frequent Visitor

I have just discovered that the trigger does not behave as I anticipated. It seems to poll for changed records rather than processing a queue of triggering events. Therefore, multiple intervening updates are not considered individual (multiple) trigger events; instead, the item having changed at all is the (single) trigger.

Mart1
Frequent Visitor

This trigger behaviour presents challenges of its own, but eliminates the (perceived) problem that I raised this topic to solve.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,144)