cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mustaque_Ehiya
Helper IV
Helper IV

Azure Devops _ when a work item is updated trigger is not getting execxuted.

Hi,

I am trying to build a flow in ADO when a work item is updated (primarily when the state is changed from New to Active), but it is failing without execution and throwing different errrors.  Please let me know how to fix this error.

Note - this trigger is showing as a 'Preview'.

notinitiated.PNGbad gateway.PNG520-Api token failure.PNG520.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya This could be a caching issue with the connector. Can you please delete the current connection to azure devops and create a new connection after refreshing the page? Alternatively, how are you testing this? I am hoping you are using a fresh test and not testing based on any previous test runs data.  

View solution in original post

Hey @NKK 

From the error, I can see that you are wrongly referring the item ID in the update action. Can you share a screenshot of the update work item in edit mode so that I can better identify the issue and assist you with this. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
yashag2255
Super User
Super User

HI @Mustaque_Ehiya 

Can you please share a screenshot of the flow trigger?

wi-updated.PNG

@yashag2255- Building a simple one to test the trigger but this is not working.

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya 

Can you share some more details? Which fields are you updting in Azure Devops and what fields do you want to track in the flow?

I tried recreating the flow and it works just fine in my case. 

Can you also try logging out of the browser and close the current session and start a fresh session and check if you still are facing the issue?

wi-updated.PNG

Hi @yashag2255  this is my flow and I tried a new session but still it is not getting executed.  I tried from Edge and Chrome browsers but results are same.

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya This is wierd. I am doing the exact same thing and it is working just fine in my environment. (Along with the condition in the Agile project type). Can you confirm to me that the project name and the team names etc. are being selected from the drop downs in flow and you are not manually typing in those?

@yashag2255- Yes, nothing was typed manually and they were selected only from the drop down. 

Additional info - I created this flow using 'Automated from Blank' option.

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya 

Can you run the flow again and change some value on the user story in Az DevOps and post a screenshot of the error that you are getting?

@Mustaque_Ehiya This shouldn't be a problem as long as you are using the right credentials for the connection to azure devops. 

@Mustaque_Ehiya wrote:

Additional info - I created this flow using 'Automated from Blank' option.

Timeout.PNG

I got this 429 error - RATE LIMIT IS EXCEEDED.  .. once.

I logged out from Flow, closed the browser and opened a new session and ran the flow again but still same results - this flow is not getting executed and it runs for a long time and throwing different errors each time.

This is the message I got  from the last flow.

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya 

I have been trying that at my end too and the flow takes more time than usual to trigger and get the response once the item is modified. 

Based on the error, it seems that the flow test is not recognising any action performed in Azure Devops. Can you start a new flow and -> manually triggered-> action is list items from azure devops and select the same project as in this flow and put the task id as one of the tasks that you are trying to change and get the information. I just want to check it is the right project and the task is coming in from other actions. 

Hope this Helps!

No difference in any error logs today.  I got the same time out errors and 429 errors.  Additionally had a new error.

1306-4.PNG1306-2.PNG1306-1.PNG

CLIENT REQUEST ABORTED error was the new one shown today.  In the TRIGGER, I have added all the values that I can fill in.  Area and Iteration Path were manually copied as Text.

1306-5.PNG

Please find below my ADO details fyi.  Pls let me know if I I need to fill in any value differently.

1306-6.PNG

Note - Below is the run time log for today.  As you see, they run for a very long time 15-20 mts and is getting stuck in the trigger itself and not going to the next step.

1306-7.PNG

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya 

Can you please create a new test item and see what all states are available? I am guessing we are looking into a different project type that has different state values!

@yashag2255-  in the trigger I am not setting any state.   As you see, I am filling in only the details shown in the TRIGGER and it is not getting executed.  Do I need to fill in anything differently in the below fields?

1306-5.PNG

Hey @Mustaque_Ehiya  Got it. Please remove the trigger flow manually (the triiger button) from the flow. You are using two triggers in flow here (The manual button and the When a work item is updated) and you cannot use 2 trigers in one flow. Please remove the first one. The "When a work item is updated" is sufficient enough for this flow.

Hope this Helps!

No luck this time as well.

I created a new flow with only the WORK ITEM UPDATED trigger .. with mandatory values only and all the fields populated... --> Same results --> Got 429 error.

1306-9.PNG1306-8.PNG

To check if there is any issue with the ADO Organization that I am working with (though it works fine for me with creating and updating items in that)... I created a copy and changed it to a different organization (OUR LIVE) and tried, same 429 error.

1306-10.PNG

note - one thing i observed is --> When i clicked the TEST button for the flow and moved to the Kanban board and came back (even without updating any story), the flow got triggered...  Many resources are active in this Team.  They might be doing some update .. But I am not exactly sure and cannot confirm on this.

Can you pls check how it works on your items (whether the flow is triggered even without any updates) ?

Hi @Mustaque_Ehiya 

Yes. I did test with my work items and it does not trigger unless and until a work item is changed. What Flow plan are you using? In the first error it says that too many tries and try again in 9 seconds and this is a very wierd error. Did you try changing the concurrency control settings in the flow trigger (by pressing the ... on the action and clickin on settings)?

I do not change any settings w.r.t. flow other than adding values for the trigger and testing it.    

I will confirm on the trigger behavior again with isolated ORG where I am the only user. 

Hi - When I test the flow and move across tabs and came back to the FLOW screen, the flow got executed and failed with 429 error.

Note - I confirmed that I am the only user in my test org and I did no update to any user story. but the flow got triggered when I revisited the FLOW screen after moving across the opened tabs in the browser.

1403-1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (6,154)