cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanHansen
Frequent Visitor

BadGateway error 502 (access denied) in approval flows

Hello,

I see there are other posts about BadGateway, but none of them are similar to what I experience, therefore I am making a new post.

I have an approval flow, which fails after the approver has given his/her approval. I get the error, and I am not sure why, or what it means:

{
  "error": {
    "code": 502,
    "source": "flow-apim-europe-001-westeurope-01.azure-apim.net",
    "clientRequestId": "2df272d3-cb7e-4967-b99f-9cb02dc4a296",
    "message": "BadGateway",
    "innerError": {
      "status": 500,
      "message": "Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\nclientRequestId: 2df272d3-cb7e-4967-b99f-9cb02dc4a296\r\nserviceRequestId: b636d29e-d0f6-0000-9a1f-c7a46cf47bfc"
    }
  }
}

My flow is configured like this (I have deliberately only expanded the Approval condition, as this is where the flow fails):

Error1.pngError2.png

Error3.png

This error happens consistently, everytime someone approves. The users who initiate the workflow, have Edit permissions on the workspace, and the people that can Approve, have Owner permissions.

Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DanHansen ,

Thanks for feedback.

According to your description, users who initiate the workflow have Edit permissions on the library. Please try to set users permission to Full control.

I have made some test on my side. At first, user has Edit permission to the library, when user select an item to trigger the flow, the same error message will be returned.

Then I set user permission to Full control, it then works successfully.

1.PNG2.PNG

Please take a try with it on your side.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DanHansen ,

Thanks for feedback.

According to your description, users who initiate the workflow have Edit permissions on the library. Please try to set users permission to Full control.

I have made some test on my side. At first, user has Edit permission to the library, when user select an item to trigger the flow, the same error message will be returned.

Then I set user permission to Full control, it then works successfully.

1.PNG2.PNG

Please take a try with it on your side.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thank you Mabel,

This was precisely what was needed to make the workflow function. It is a bit of a security risk for me, because I do not necessarily want the people who initiate this workflow, to be able to have full control over the workspace. But I will figure something out internally.

Best regards,

Dan

I'm having the same issue, and my account that I'm using for testing already has full control. It certainly seems poor security practice to exceed the minimal permissions for doing a check-in / approval request just to support "Flow" being able to do something.

{
"source": "flow-apim-msmanaged-na-northcentralus-01.azure-apim.net",
"clientRequestId": "<removed>",
"status": 500,
"message": "Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\nclientRequestId: <removed>\r\nserviceRequestId: <removed>"
}
}
}
DavidVoycer

Hey everyone,

i just ant to create a Flow for a reply for special Email. The reply contains a File from Onedrive.

The first two Steps work fine, Step 3 doesnt work.

Bild1_2.pngBild2.png

{
"source": "flow-apim-europe-001-westeurope-01.azure-apim.net",
"clientRequestId": "8023a74a-4b06-44a8-b72c-729eb596f3ae",
"status": 502,
"message": "Fehler bei der Anforderung. Versuchen Sie es später noch mal.\r\nclientRequestId: 8023a74a-4b06-44a8-b72c-729eb596f3ae\r\nserviceRequestId: ec2b1ca3-3cd1-4ff7-bdb6-c5825b1ada97",
"source": "office365-we.azconn-we.p.azurewebsites.net"
}
}
}

Hope somebody can help me fix this.
I´m a Flow Beginner.

Greetings,
David

Laslo
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Just change the way the powerapps are run.

Not by the member but by the owner of the flow :

Capture.PNG

Powerapps.PNG

@v-yamao-msft ,

This did solve my issue in testing, but I do not want to grant content creators Full Control of the site/Library for the approval to work.  Why is Full Control required for the author of the content and not just the account being used to run the workflow and set the Approval state of the content?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,851)