Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xyd
Helper II
Helper II

Best Practice or Considerations with flow working with CDS

Hi All,

Assume it's technically possible both ways - 

Any thoughts on whether you would choose to have various smaller shorter simpler Flows runs on various triggers  vs one or fewer bigger longer more complexed Flow? and why

For example for CDS Entity A:

flow 1: on creation or updates, fld1 is not blank or updated, action set fld2 to "AAA"

flow 2: on creation, trigger expression on "fld2 is equal to a specific value", action create some new records based on the current one (same entity)

flow 3: on creation or updates, action to associate this record to another record

use the above examples, I can see that it is possible to combine flow1 and flow 3, but it will make that flow really long and complex... just wonder if it matters

Many thanks in advanced

Xun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
danielbazetto
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @xyd ,

This can be relative, I will give my opinion but again this is subjective. If one action/Flow does not depend on the other I believe that the best approach is to have them separated.

It will be a shorter Flow, easier to isolate future issues and less complex to be handled by colleagues who might be co-owner of the Flow, however if the Flows have similar actions it can be better to aggregate them.

Let's think in a scenario where you do have 2 different Flows, both of them read a SPO list and then update the field 1 and field 2 respectively.

This means you would have 1 "Get List Item" in each flow, however if you concatenate the Flow to read the list and do 2 updates in a single  Flow, then you would have only one Get Item, leading the API calls to be lower having one flow instead two.

I hope it didn't make you more confused now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
danielbazetto
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @xyd ,

This can be relative, I will give my opinion but again this is subjective. If one action/Flow does not depend on the other I believe that the best approach is to have them separated.

It will be a shorter Flow, easier to isolate future issues and less complex to be handled by colleagues who might be co-owner of the Flow, however if the Flows have similar actions it can be better to aggregate them.

Let's think in a scenario where you do have 2 different Flows, both of them read a SPO list and then update the field 1 and field 2 respectively.

This means you would have 1 "Get List Item" in each flow, however if you concatenate the Flow to read the list and do 2 updates in a single  Flow, then you would have only one Get Item, leading the API calls to be lower having one flow instead two.

I hope it didn't make you more confused now.

View solution in original post

@danielbazetto awesome! thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,733)