cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
drewski
Level: Powered On

Best method for avoiding duplicate Flow emails?

I have a standard intake using PowerApps which has several different statuses. When each status changes, an email gets sent out.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the best way to make sure the emails are only sent ONCE per status change.

In the old Designer world, I had an extra field in the form that would collect the "Initital Status" and then compare once the form was submitted.. If the Initial Status, and the Status field remained the same, it would cancel the workflow. If the status changed, it would kick off the email.

I thought of trying to use the new "variable" feature in Flow, but I couldn't add any dynamic content from the form to collect.. so this seems to be the wrong direction?

Should I be using the "Collection" feature within the app to collect the values and compare?

Anyone figure out a better method?

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Best method for avoiding duplicate Flow emails?

Hi @drewski,

Could you please share a screenshot of your PowerApps app's configuration?

Do you want to pass parameters from your PowerApps app to your Microsoft Flow?

Do you want to store the Status value from your PowerApps app within your flow?

Further, could you please share more details about your scenario?

If you want to pass parameters from your PowerApps app to your flow, please check the following article:

Start a flow in an app

If you want to initialize an variable to store the Status value (old Status value) from your PowerApps app within your flow and then compare it with the new Status value passed from your PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

You could consider take a try to store the Status value within a SharePoint list. When a new Status value is passed from your PowerApps app into your flow, get the last inserted Status value within your SharePoint list, then compare the last inserted value in your SharePoint list with the new Status value passed from your PowerApps app, if they are the same, do nothing, if not, send the email notification.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 182 members 4,622 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: