cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best way to backup new files from OneDrive to any network folder behind VPN

What is the best way to regularly (say once per day) backup

new files from OneDrive to an SMB network folder? (The network folder is something our teams uses so I can't change that to something else.)

What makes it a bit more complicated is:

- the network folder can be accessed as a normal folder in Windows Explorer, but VPN connection is required – however this can be simply dealt with any error message like "Copy failed", in which case user would understand to connect VPN and re-run the script

- file listing comparison and filesize+timestamp check is needed (if file is already copied, do not waste time by copying again)

The question could be also "What is the best way to regularly backup new files from a local folder to a network folder" (because the desktop version of OneDrive can be set as [ ] "Save space and download files as you use them", in which case the OneDrive folder would be just like a normal local folder).

If this is close to impossible with just Power Automate and some scripting, then I can also consider installing some backup software? Perhaps someone knows the best solution for this?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

Yes, you can certainly do what you're looking to do using P-AM. Do you have the option to install an On-premise data Gateway? If you do then you could even do the backups and do away with the VPN requirement altogether.

Let me clarify. The way I would do this is by using an on-prem gateway, which is basically an always alive point-to-point VPN connection.

Once the gateway is set up then you could map to any folder or drive as a connection and perform all sorts of actions between your on-premise resources (files, folders, etc...) and numerous cloud resources using Power Automate.

Let me know if you need a proof of concept.

Amanthaper_0-1601941403352.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,591)