cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamWilliams
Frequent Visitor

Breaking out of Scope

I was wondering if its possible to break out of a scope?

I have a number of steps which id like to place into a single scope [Scope 1], then if any step *fails*, id like to exit the current scope and run the next scope [Scope 2] (which which is configured to run only when the above scope fails, is skipped or timesout).

I thought I could do it by using Terminate-Failed, but this skips Scope 2 as well.

*Fail* here could either be, those determined by the flow (e.g. status code 400 from a http call) or by some user defined criteria within Scope 1 (e.g. "if value is equal to xxxx then Fail")

TIA

Adam

4 REPLIES 4
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdamWilliams,

Maybe you can use the configure run after option settings. Over there you can configure when the second scope should run. You can for instance set that one up that it only runs when the previous scope fails.

configurerunafter_failed.png

Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdamWilliams,

Apologies, after reading your original post it looks like you are already using that configure run after setting, correct?

For additional checks you can probably use a condition action and look for instance at the statuscode of the result outputs of the different actions within your scope.

Below example gives back the statuscode of the first action within scope action.

result('Scope')[0]['outputs']['statusCode']

AdamWilliams
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Expiscornovus 

Yes its already configured and so this works in the case where a failure is determined by the flow (e.g. status code 400 from a http call)

However (as far as I can tell) I cannot manually trigger a "Fail" for some other user defined condition e.g.

AdamWilliams_0-1623950606734.png

Essentially I want a "break" 🙂

Thanks Adam 

AdamWilliams
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so in my reply to @Expiscornovus I figured I "could" trigger a failure generated by the flow.

By intentionally calling a http request which would give a 404, which in turn is handled by the flow as a failure.

As below

AdamWilliams_0-1623952067692.png

AdamWilliams_1-1623952085435.png

For an input "Yes" we get

AdamWilliams_2-1623952200502.png

And an input "No":

AdamWilliams_3-1623952235365.png

But the very fact I "could" do this, really doesn't I "should".

Any other "proper" suggestions 😄

Thanks

Adam

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,070)