cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vllanso
Advocate II
Advocate II

Building flow inside or outside a solution prompting/not prompting for trial license (SQL Server connector)

Hello community,

I have tried to create the same simple flow inside a solution and outside a solution:
* flow trigger is "Powerapps"

* next action is calling an SQL stored procedure using the SQL Server connector

and:

- When building the flow NOT in a solution, everything goes OK and I can save and test the flow.

- When building the flow INSIDE a solution, as soon as I add the SQL acction, it prompts for a trial license

Is this the expected behaviour ? Why would it require the trial if I am in a solution, and not require the trial when not in a solution ?

Any clue or any thing that I could check ?

I am probably missing something about licensing ... but right now I don't understand what.

Below are sample screen captures of the problem:

Regular flow, outside a solutionvllanso_2-1620062648955.png

Trying same flow inside a solution

vllanso_1-1620062397203.png

Thanks, Victor.

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

It should require a trial in either place.  What may be happening is that when not in a solution it is re-using an existing connection that was created prior to October, 2019.  Apps using SQL connections created before that were grandfathered in for a period of 5 years.  But when inside a solution it is definitely creating a new connection.  New SQL connections are premium and would require a premium license or a trial license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks @Pstork1 for your quick answer.

The fact is that the SQL connection was created in November 2020, so way past the october 2019 limit. And that is what surprises me.

One additional question:

- if I assign a "Per-flow" license to the flow, before adding the "Execute SQL stored procedure" action

- then I open the flow and add the "Execute SQL stored procedure" action

- should I be allowed, without requiring the trial license ?

(Note: I do have 1 spare "per flow" license available).

Thanks, Victor.

If the connection was created in Nov, 2020 then it should be prompting you for a trial license wherever you are.  If you assign a per-flow license to the flow it should let you add the SQL connection.  But I can't guarantee that it won't prompt for a trial.  It shouldn't in that circumstance, but it might.  In that situation there is no legal requirement since the per flow license covers you.  But it won't cover anyone else since the flow is triggered by Power Apps.  Legally you should have a per app or per user license for every user using that power app and flow.

@Pstork1 thanks again for your answer.

When you mention that it might prompt for a trial, in case it shows, is it a "true" prompt for a trial ? or it is a "fake" prompt for a trial ?.

How would I know if it will indeed start a trial license or not ?.

I was looking at this link from power apps, or this link from child flows, and both mention that sometimes you may get the trial prompt, but for me is not clear what happens if you do click to start the trial period.

Thanks, Victor.

If you click through on the trial link it will start a trial.  Its not a "fake" link.  Its just a false positive on the test of whether you need a premium license or not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,871)