cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

CDS Entity copy. Different tenant changes Contact ID GUID. How to give related records the new Contact ID GUID?

Using a data flow to copy CDS entries from one tenant to another.

Source Contact GUID = 6666. In the target environment the Contact/Contact ID field gets a new GUID = 7777

In the Dataflow I edited the associated records Contact GUID from 6666 to 7777 but it was not applied.

What is the best copy, or intercept technique, to get the new Contact ID GUID in the associated records that need to be copied over please?

Cheers, Richard 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @tacklers2 how are you?

@tacklers2 in this case, I would like to recommend you to use the Configuration Migration tool. This tool can export data from entities and import it in another organization maintaining the GUID of the record. I used to use this tool for moving workflows and records like account and contacts.

The article can help on how to use and create the files https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/manage-configuration-data

Please, let me know if this helped on your question, if so, please mark this thread as answered.

Regards.

Rodrigo Hentz

Microsoft Support Engineer

Highlighted

Rodrigo,

Ah. That's great to know. I couldn't find any spec on actually how the configuration manager worked.

Next time I will try again with it but I did have issues when trying to use it.

1. In one tenant it would never let me choose the environment I wanted and always defaulted to my named community environment, whatever I tried. On another tenant, without a community environment, I could pick from a list.

2. It couldn't deal with signing onto a Tenant that had federated identities and MFA switched on. 

3. The documentation required the source tenant to be reset. I wanted to image a production environment so didn't want to risk shutting it down not knowing if it would restart.

4. I wanted to rebuild the target site with the same portal, different name, I don't know what CFGMGR would do with website bindings etc.

My solution was to copy data across with DataFlows and carry the original Contact guid and store it in the target. When records from other entities were copied across they'd also carry the original Contact guid. On record creation a power automate flow looks up the contact entity using the original guid then assigns the new contact id when found. 

Thanks For your help. 

Highlighted

Hi Rodrigo,

How do I mark a thread as answered please!?

Cheers, Richard

Highlighted

Hi @Gatwick please hit the Kudos button 🙂

kudos.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,694)