cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can Flow find Teams group's Group ID based on group's name?

Hi everyone,

Say I've got an Excel table with two columns: one has a user's e-mail and the other the name of a Teams group's name that the user needs to be added to. This gets exported periodically by a separate tool and automatically uploaded to SharePoint.

Now, I know Flow has the Office 365 Group connector which is able to add users to a Teams group, however it can only do that based on a group's ID. I know how to manually get a Teams group's Group Id from its URL, but is there any way that Flow can get it automatically based on a the group's name?

The way I'm envisioning the process is:

1. the Excel report automatically gets uploaded to Sharepoint periodically

2. each time Flow accesses the file and goes through the lines

3. it gets the Teams group's Group ID based on the Teams Group's Name column

4. uses that Group Id and the User's email column to add the user to the Teams group

I only have an issue with number 3 there, which I haven't managed to find a solution to. Would anybody have a soultion or any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Can Flow find Teams group's Group ID based on group's name?

Hi @AndreiCiurea,

If this is the case, I am afraid that relying on the current action will not be able to achieve your needs.

If you want to feature that you mentioned to be supported in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreiCiurea,

If all Teams group's name in your Teams is unique, your needs are achievable.

You could list all the Teams first, and then determine if the Teams group name is equal to the value in the Excel table.

Then add the user to the corresponding group.

The premise of this method is that all Teams group names are unique.

78.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi Bary, the "List teams" action says that it "retrieves a list of all the Teams (Office 365 Groups) you are a member of.". Unfortunately I won't be a member of the any of the teams I'll be looking for.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreiCiurea,

If this is the case, I am afraid that relying on the current action will not be able to achieve your needs.

If you want to feature that you mentioned to be supported in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best Regards,

Barry

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

For us, we actually have the group object pulled in from a People field in SharePoint called "O365Group".  Since the object doesn't contain the ID by itself, we parsed it out using the compose method.

last(split(item()['O365Group']['Claims'], '|'))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,293)