cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Can I create a time-based email reminder for SharePoint calendar events?

I have a SharePoint calendar for events that my department will need a reminder on but they don't want the actual events on their Outlook calendars.  We want a central calendar for contract term and renewal notice dates and I would like email reminders to go out prior to a renewal or term date.

Is there a way to automate this?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @Yoshio ,

"Renewal Date" is just the display name of this field, you need to get its internal name.

You could run the flow without configuring Filter Query and check the body of Get items action.

You could get the internal name of this field and configure it in Filter Query.

Hope that makes sense.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Yoshio 

You'll want to use a recurrence trigger configured to fire once a day. 

Unless you need the ability to enter repeating events, I strongly suggest that you create a SharePoint list and add columns for renewal date and any other information that you want to save.  SharePoint calendars store dates in a funky way making them hard to deal with.  You can create a calendar view of any SharePoint list with a date column.

Please see my example below.  I use an OData filter query in my get items action - the query can be seen in the comments area.  Also, see the expression that I used in my Compose action in the comments.

ReminderA.jpgReminder1.jpgReminder2.jpg

Let me know if you need additional help.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted

@ScottShearer  Hi! thanks so much for all that work on helping me!!! Unfortunately I am doing something wrong because I'm getting an error.  Here's what I've got:

error.pngSP list.pngget items.png

my formula thing is: formatDateTime(items('Apply_to_each')?['RenewalDate'],'mm/dd/yyyy')

thank you again and I'm sorry I can't seem to get it right.

Highlighted

Hi @Yoshio ,

Renewal should be RenewlDate, expression should  be addDays(utcNow(),7,'yyyy-MM-dd')

Please try again.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

@v-bacao-msft  Hello!

Thank you.  The flow runs now BUT it is sending reminder emails for all entries, even the ones who's renewal is two years out.  Is there a way I can only have it send the email if the date is within a week?

term and renewal list.pngget items2.pngapply to each.png

Highlighted

@v-bacao-msft 

also, sorry, I did fix the expression to match what you sent me yyyy-MM-dd and all the emails are still going.

thanks 🙂

Highlighted

@Yoshio 

Please refer to my example that I have provided above.  The expression that you have in the compose action should be in the filter query of the get items action and not in the compose.  Please note the single quotes around my expression in the query filter - you missed the closing quote in the screen shot that you posted.

Scott
Highlighted

Hi @ScottShearer ,

Thank you again!  I have recreated your flow and added the missing close quote in the filter query.  In the pictures you sent, there is a formula in the Compose box which is why I also included it.  I am still receiving the same error as yesterday.  Please advise.

error.pngget items.pngapply to each.png

Highlighted

@Yoshio 

Please post screen shots of your entire Flow in edit mode - that will help thos trying to assist to make sense of the error.

Scott
Highlighted

hi @ScottShearer 

the pictures were the bulk of the flow.  Here is the send an email and the very end.  That's all there is to the flow which I thought was like the pictures you sent.

thanks

send an email.pngend of flow.png

Highlighted

@Yoshio 

In your Get items action, please delete what you have for the filter query.  Replace it with the expression that I have shown in my screen shot.  Replace my reference to Renewal with the internal name of your SharePoint column.

Scott
Highlighted

hello @ScottShearer 

I apologize but it still doesn't seem to be working.  I was able to get the flow to save without error finally but when I ran it, it failed.

fails at Get Itemsfails at Get Itemsbegining of flow.pngmiddle of flow.pngend of flow2.png

Highlighted

Hi @Yoshio ,

"Renewal Date" is just the display name of this field, you need to get its internal name.

You could run the flow without configuring Filter Query and check the body of Get items action.

You could get the internal name of this field and configure it in Filter Query.

Hope that makes sense.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@v-bacao-msft 

thank you but it's running but it's sending reminders for all entries and I want it to send them for items that are renewing or terming within a certain amount of days. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,906)