cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Runner55552
Helper V
Helper V

Can a SharePoint ID be specified or modified?

Is it possible in Power Automate to specify a  SharePoint ID column value when creating new list items, or when updating items? Or is that column completely protected?  I have a Flow which deletes all the items in a list nightly (1600 items), then replaces them with new items from an SQL table.  It works fine, but my SharePoint IDs keep getting larger each night.  Maybe this is not a problem, but I would prefer to force them to start over with 1 each night.  However, in the create item or update item action, there does not seem to be a way to push a value into the SharePoint ID column.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @Runner55552 

You won't be able to update the id's via Flow. You would be better to maintain a custom column and update via flow to maintain the id's you want. Also consider creating a custom list where to start from and current index or something so that when ever an item creates read the custom list to get the latest and update the custom list with latest value.

http://niftit.com/how-reset-the-id-counter-in-sharepoint/

Please have a look at the above link. Again not sure whether it is supported or not?

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Runner55552,

Unfortunately, there is no way to reset the ID field via Flow, the ID will increase when a new item created, even though these previous items were deleted. So you could create a column, such as itemID, just as you like. Then edit the current view of SharePoint list to hide the ID field and make the itemID visible.Annotation 2020-03-10 134142.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @Runner55552 

You won't be able to update the id's via Flow. You would be better to maintain a custom column and update via flow to maintain the id's you want. Also consider creating a custom list where to start from and current index or something so that when ever an item creates read the custom list to get the latest and update the custom list with latest value.

http://niftit.com/how-reset-the-id-counter-in-sharepoint/

Please have a look at the above link. Again not sure whether it is supported or not?

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Runner55552,

Unfortunately, there is no way to reset the ID field via Flow, the ID will increase when a new item created, even though these previous items were deleted. So you could create a column, such as itemID, just as you like. Then edit the current view of SharePoint list to hide the ID field and make the itemID visible.Annotation 2020-03-10 134142.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,228)