cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dusty
Frequent Visitor

Can anyone tell me why this flow fails to run properly when triggered multiple times?

Hello everyone. 

I have a fairly simple flow that seems to randomly fail when triggered multiple times. I am using 3rd party software to upload files along with metadata to a Sharepoint Document Library which then kicks off the flow. 

See screen shot below. 

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

This flows runs successfully but when I upload up to 20 files at a time, maybe 6-10 of them will fail because the "assigned-to" field is missing. I am havoing trouble figuring why it thinks the field is missing when it is clearly populated when I check the document library field "Approving Party".

Here are some more screen shots of a test I ran moments ago. 

The error i get is always the following: 

The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalCreateRequestAssignedToMissing'. Error Message: 'Required field 'assignedTo' is missing or empty.'.

Capture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

If anyone has any ideas why this is happening please share. Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dusty ,

From your description, you are using 3rd party software to upload files along with metadata to SharePoint library.

When up to 20 files are uploaded at a time, I assume that the metadata has not been uploaded completely when the file is already created. Flow will be triggered once the file is created, however, the metadata is still undergoing.

I would suggest you delay a longer time to have all the files and metadata uploaded completely.

By the way, when sharing images with us, please remove or hide your personal information, including email address, organization name, etc. for security purpose. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I updated the delay to 20 minutes instead of 2 minutes and ran two tests with 10 files each. It appears to work so far! Thanks for the reply @yashag2255 ! 

5 REPLIES 5
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Dusty 

Can you share what is the datatype of the column "Approving Parties"?

Can you please remove that extra semicolon from the "Start an Approval Action" in the "Assigned to" section?

Are there multiple emails in any of the "Approving Parties" items? You can try initialising a variable and assigning the "Approving Parties" column to that variable and then using the variable reference in the approval action. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dusty ,

From your description, you are using 3rd party software to upload files along with metadata to SharePoint library.

When up to 20 files are uploaded at a time, I assume that the metadata has not been uploaded completely when the file is already created. Flow will be triggered once the file is created, however, the metadata is still undergoing.

I would suggest you delay a longer time to have all the files and metadata uploaded completely.

By the way, when sharing images with us, please remove or hide your personal information, including email address, organization name, etc. for security purpose. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dusty
Frequent Visitor

Hello @yashag2255 and thanks for the reply! 

I will detail my answers to your questions below:

Can you share what is the datatype of the column "Approving Parties"?

"Single Line of Text" populates with full email address.

Can you please remove that extra semicolon from the "Start an Approval Action" in the "Assigned to" section?

Done

Are there multiple emails in any of the "Approving Parties" items?

Negative- only one email

You can try initialising a variable and assigning the "Approving Parties" column to that variable and then using the variable reference in the approval action.

I actually added a "Get Item" after the 2 minute delay and stored "ApprovingParty" as a variable yesterday. This still resulted in the same error occurring ~50% of the time. 

yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hey @Dusty  Can you share a screenshot of the error that you are getting?

I updated the delay to 20 minutes instead of 2 minutes and ran two tests with 10 files each. It appears to work so far! Thanks for the reply @yashag2255 ! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,108)