cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgyxe
Level: Powered On

Can't invoke Flows from SharePoint Online dropdown context menu

Flow is no longer working as expected in SharePoint Online

We created and successfully tested a couple of Flows two weeks ago, but these Flows can no longer be Started. Both Flows were built as “Instant” and are invoked “For a selected item” in SharePoint. However, SharePoint’s Flow dropdown (context menu) does not list these Flows anymore. All Flows are configured to invoke within a specific SharePoint site and Modern document library. Nothing has changed with this document library and its settings, nor with o365 licensing settings.

Flows that were run in the past on the same document library can be successfully resubmitted. But no new instances can be started. New test Flows were built, but they also cannot be invoked from SharePoint.

What can be done to ensure that Flows can be invoked from the SharePoint modern document library for which they were built/configured?

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Can't invoke Flows from SharePoint Online dropdown context menu

Verify the credentials you are initiating the SharePoint Steps within the follows is pointing to the correct account credentials and the correct SharePoint environent and document library. In the screenshot below, I show what I mean. Clicking the elipses (red box) in the step brings up the popup, with your available connections listed in the My connections area (purple box), and choose the account you'd like to use (green box): Credentials.png

Also, verify that your connection to SharePoint is still active. If you've recently had to change your password, you'll need to update and refresh this connection. Navigate to the Connections under the Data entry in the navigation menu (red box):Connections.png

Once there, verify that the SharePoint credentials are Connected (green box), if it is not connected, click the elipses (red box) and either chosoe Edit to edit the connection or Switch account to switch the account: Verify.png

If that was not the issue, please provide a detailed screenshot of your Flow(s) in question, as well as any error or failure messages received when the Flow runs. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. THANKS!

pgyxe

Thanks for the quick reply, @Brad_Groux 

It definitely is a problem with the Connections. Flow is having issues performing the required lookups for the SharePoint "Site Address" & "List Name" fields. That is, Flow can't find my site. When the site URL is manually entered, Flow can't find any lists at that address.

Further, my Connection to SharePoint is marked Connected. But when I click the ellipsis for the SharePoint step, I see that the current connection is not listed under "My connections". Instead, the current connection marked with green checkmark is under "Other connections". I can add a new connection, but that still doesn't resolve the issue. In fact, I just get multiple connection entries for my account and nothing works.

flow1.png

I have logged out and back in to o365, Flow, SPO etc. multiple times and doesn't help.

This feels like a browser issue. I'm using IE11.

Any further suggestions are very much welcome - thanks! 

Super User
Super User

It sounds like you should delete the SharePoint connection from the Connections page (purple box) and re-add it:Delete.png

Don't worry, it doesn't affect your Flows to do this, you just need to go back and reverify the right account is selected for the actions within your Flow after re-adding the SharePoint connector with an updated validation token.

As an aside, I see you are using a workflow service account for your Flows - issues like this are why it is currently against Microsoft best practice to run Flows under a shared or service account. You can do it, it just isn't a supported configuration.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. THANKS!

Super User
Super User

@pgyxe wrote:
This feels like a browser issue. I'm using IE11.

IE11 is officially supported, but I've never been able to get it to work with Flow because of internal security policies. You can try loging in with InPrivate mode to see if that helps. It could also be a security setting within IE, which is usually a problem while using the PowerPlatform (which includes Flow).

Last I checked, It is recommended to use Microsoft Edge or Chrome v47 and above. 

pgyxe

Hi @Brad_Groux 

I deleted my SharePoint Connection and re-added the Connection a few times. Still can't see my Flows in the document library for which they were configured. This is due to the SP Connection for sure.

After deleting and re-creating the SP Connection several times in Flow (as well as reboots and trying other browsers etc.), I managed to receive some more descriptive error messages:

Could not retrieve values. Error from token exchange: The connection is not found.
The caller with object id '<guid>' does not have permission for connection '/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apis/shared_sharepointonline/connections/shared-sharepointonl-<guid>' under Api 'shared_sharepointonline'.

So, my worfklow service account no longer has the required permissions. I cannot find where anything has changed in terms of permissions.

What permissions are required for Flow?

Also, can you please share the guidance regarding service accounts and best practices for Flow?

Thanks so much for taking the time help!

pgyxe

After weeks of working with Microsoft Flow support, this still isn't working. Flow Connections to SharePoint Online regularly and seemingly randomly become corrupted and unuseable.

MFA is not configured for this tenant.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,049)