cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shannonolson

Cannot get "Comments associated with content approval" to work with Limit Columns by View in a SharePoint list

I have a calendar in SharePoint where users submit leave and we use content approval to approve/deny the leave request. As long as I don't use "Limit Columns by View" when defining my list, the "Comments associated with content approval" works correctly. See below:

Flow with approval comments and no limit on viewFlow with approval comments and no limit on viewResulting emailResulting email

As soon as I Limit Columns by View it stops pulling the comments correctly. I have created a view ("Workflow") that contains every column, including Approver Comments. Here is a screenshot of my custom view, will all columns selected, a screenshot of the Flow with the view limited, and the resulting email:

Workflow Custom View - all columns selectedWorkflow Custom View - all columns selectedFlow with view limited - not workingFlow with view limited - not workingEmail as a result of limited viewEmail as a result of limited view

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @shannonolson ,

it seems you can't use that column when you create a custom view. If you check the item body in the trigger the '{ModerationComment}' is not provided. You'll have to either load all columns from the list or store the 'Comments associated...' into a custom column and use it from there.

And maybe report it as a bug because I don't see any reason why that column should be skipped.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @shannonolson ,

it seems you can't use that column when you create a custom view. If you check the item body in the trigger the '{ModerationComment}' is not provided. You'll have to either load all columns from the list or store the 'Comments associated...' into a custom column and use it from there.

And maybe report it as a bug because I don't see any reason why that column should be skipped.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

Thank you! I was rushing and didn't check the output (*duh*). The reason I was having to filter my list was because I had a bunch of old lookup columns from previously deleted workflows. I used SPOCSOM and SharePoint Designer to delete the problematic columns and now I'm don't have to filter the list. I reported the bug to Microsoft and they just closed my ticket. 😞

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (97,748)