cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Chain multiple forms in a flow

Hello,

I'm fairly new to power automate and flows.

I would like to create a flow that contains multiple steps and in each one of them a form has to be submitted by a given person.

My case is more or less as follows:

1. Person 1 fills form A
  2. Person 2 receives notification of form 1 being filled
  3. Person 2 fills form B
  4. etc.

I would like the information of form A and B to be linked.

I think  the flow is fairly similar to https://emea.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/4071c6b040c611e7ad68c1c80e905297/se... but the two forms add a bit of complexity.

Is there a way to achieve my aim or should I create two separate flows and ask Person 2 to fill the information from form A again in form B.

Thank a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Chain multiple forms in a flow

Hi @jon_in_makati 

Agreed! The point here is to link the two responses. Another way I see you can do this is, if it is within the organization itself and if person B can view the response you can add the link to the sharepoint item from the Person A's response and then person B can directly navigate to the item from that link and add their responses there. You can then send an email once the person B has completed/ their response. 

Else, providing B with a unique Id (like RES-1) and then they fill it in their response as the first question and then link it to the SP item would be the best approach in my opinion. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @jon_in_makati 

It is always recommended to have just one trigger in a flow. Therefore, if the second person would submit the form, a new flow should be configured for the same. 

You can generate ID fields for linking the form responses. Something like, person A fills and submits form A, create Item in sharepoint and get the ID and send this along with the notification to Person B. Person B fills Form B where they input the ID received from A in a question and upon submit, trigger another flow, get the item from the item ID and update the rest of the fields and so on. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!
Even though you can theoretically add a second trigger in the middle of a flow, you cannot activate conditional trigger functionality on this second trigger, which means it will be executed either if B answers or somebody else does it.
So... you need two flows, store context status from flow#A in an external repository (CDS, sharepoint, excel...) so flow#B can access it, this way you can probably simplify second survey
Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello @yashag2255 ,

I have two things I would like to avoid in that approach:

1. I would like to keep the visibility of the main flow (I have 8 steps and I'd like to know where each process is)
  2. I'd like to minimise human intervention

I can overcome the first one doing a Power BI dashboard or similar to link the different flows, but, it won't be as transparent as checking the runs in Power Automate and it will have to be changed if new steps are added.

For the second one, I know copy pasting a field is not much, but automation is aimed at reducing these kinds of actions.

I'm thinking on chaining a set of approvals and including the information about the next step on the notification mail. Point 2 will still be a problem but I'll gain visibility on Point 1. Is this a reasonable approach?

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @jon_in_makati 

Agreed! The point here is to link the two responses. Another way I see you can do this is, if it is within the organization itself and if person B can view the response you can add the link to the sharepoint item from the Person A's response and then person B can directly navigate to the item from that link and add their responses there. You can then send an email once the person B has completed/ their response. 

Else, providing B with a unique Id (like RES-1) and then they fill it in their response as the first question and then link it to the SP item would be the best approach in my opinion. 

Hope this Helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I think this is the approach I will take as the Person A's response is fully visible for person B.

Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,121)