Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dgoguet
Frequent Visitor

Change Created By or Modified by in SharePoint list

Hi,

I have a flow that populates a sharepoint list containing a list of users and some related informations.

When I run the flow, all the items are created and modified by the flow user.

I'd like to modify the created or modified by field with the username in order to create a sharepoint view filtered on this fields, this way a user could see only the informations related to himself.

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
danmitchell36 Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: Change Created By or Modified by in SharePoint list

Unfortunately, you cannot edit the created by or modified by fields in SharePoint. You'll have to figure out a different way to create the views.  

If your list is a list of users are the users a person/group field? If they are you could use that field to filter the views instead of the created by or modified by fields.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
danmitchell36 Resolver II
Resolver II

Unfortunately, you cannot edit the created by or modified by fields in SharePoint. You'll have to figure out a different way to create the views.  

If your list is a list of users are the users a person/group field? If they are you could use that field to filter the views instead of the created by or modified by fields.

View solution in original post

dgoguet
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your answer, I'll manage it the way you mentionned!

dougallen Helper I
Helper I

I wanted to mention that this is actually not correct anymore.  You can change the Created, Created By, Modified and Modified By using Microsoft Flow.  The FlowNinja John Liu shows you how in his post on the subject.  I think it all stemmed by from the whole created then update loop.   I have already used this for multiple Flows.  

In my case, I needed to update Created By to ensure that item-level permissions in a list worked correctly.  I checked my person field against Created By and if different, update it.  Works great!

vsolanon Helper III
Helper III

Hi  @dougallen  ! thank you for the information.I am working on a PowerApp application that is linked to a SharePoint List, and would like to override the "Created by"from the from PowerApp when it is created to only show an specific email. This is in order to control the access from the user to the SP List.

Was hopping you might know a solution for this question,

Thank you in advance!

Veronica

eyeana Helper II
Helper II

Hi @dougallen ,

I am trying to change the Created By column to display the user who has created the item on sharepoint list. In my case, the person who creates the item on Sharepoint could be any user.

Due to the 'Create Item' command i have in my flow, sharepoint by default autopopulates this field with my user name (as i am the flow owner). In this case, the person who creates the item on Sharepoint could be any user. 

I was looking at the post which you said helped you, however, in the post, the author has already a designated user which he would like to assign in the Modified By column.

Do you know the way to change the user in the Created By from me to the user who actually created the item on SP?

Regards,

I

Keerti_k

It works for "editor" field but not the "Author" field . Did you have to do some additional changes to achieve this ?

Keerti_k

@dougallen : We are able to change the "Editor" field (Modified By)  but we are not able to change the "Author" field( Created By). Did you do some additional changes in order to achieve this ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,917)