cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itsbew

Changing variables in a flow from a SharePoint list or excel document

My organisation has decided to only let computer department manage flows, therefore it means it can be difficult to build and edit flows. 

My question therefore is, can a SharePoint list or an excel document be used to change variables in a flow? 

For example, a planner task is to be created for someone, but the person depends on the location chosen on a MS form. However if an employee left the organisation, could the name be changed in a SharePoint list or excel document, rather than have to wait for a change to be made in MS flow? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KarimH
Frequent Visitor

Hi Itsbew,

I allways create a SharePoint list "WFConfList". This list has two columns: Title and Value.

In the title I put the variable name and in the Value, guess what, the Value for this variable.

Here an example where I get the Variable "CMEmails" from that Config List. First I initialize a variable. Then I get the values from the List.

Conf.png

In a second step I put the value in a flow variable. This will automatically create a foreach control but thats not a problem, because you will allways have only one value.

Conf2.png

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
danielbazetto
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @Itsbew ,

I am not sure if I understood what you need, but you could perform change, editing and updates on the flow using the PA management connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/flowmanagement/ 

sorry @danielbazetto , I really didn't explain that well. what I mean is, say I have a list of departments and a contact (email) for each department. Now a form is filled out and they say it is for department X, now I could have all the departments and emails in the flow so when someone says its for Department X then it emails person X. However if that person changes, the flow would need to be changed to have the new email contact. 

What i want to know is if its possible to make a excel or SharePoint list of all the departments and email addresses for each one. Then the flow be able to read the table look for correct department and pull the email, and use that email. Then it means the flow would not need to be accessed, but rather a quick change on a list and the new email could be added. 

plus it means the flow doesn't have to be shared with so many people, but rather once it is tried and tested it can be left but the variables in an excel can be changed, no risk of harm to the flow. 

Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @Itsbew 

This all matter on if the flow was created that way or not. If the flow uses dynamic content from SharePoint to grab those values than you will not have to change the flow.

but if the flow has hard coded values, than you might have to change the flow

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Brilliant now I just need to work out the flow using the dynamic content.  Thanks 

KarimH
Frequent Visitor

Hi Itsbew,

I allways create a SharePoint list "WFConfList". This list has two columns: Title and Value.

In the title I put the variable name and in the Value, guess what, the Value for this variable.

Here an example where I get the Variable "CMEmails" from that Config List. First I initialize a variable. Then I get the values from the List.

Conf.png

In a second step I put the value in a flow variable. This will automatically create a foreach control but thats not a problem, because you will allways have only one value.

Conf2.png

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (26,063)