Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yama_Vin
Advocate I
Advocate I

Check if a File is opened in SharePoint Document Library

Hi, 

I have a requirement to to send a notification when a file in a SharePoint document library is opened for the first time.  Also, if no one is opens a file for 5 days , flow has to send another notification to the team. 

Is there anyway we can do this using flow? if not,  Please let us know if there is any other method I can achieve this. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi again!

Anoher approach:

implementing a PowerApp, so instead of letting people access the Library directly, they shall request documents through this powerapp. PowerApp lists all documents in the library.

Users would request access to any document through this PowerApp. Once requested, PowerApp + Flow would grant access to the document, or even send the document to the requestor via email. The flow would send a notification when a file in a SharePoint document library is requested for the first time. Also, if no one request access to a file for 5 days , flow has to send another notification to the team. 

Does it make sense for you?

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi!

"a file in a SharePoint document library is opened for the first time"

Do you mean when a file is modified for the first time? If so, I guess this is possible. If you just mean 'open' but no need to modify it, then, I am pessimistic.

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@efialttes  Thanks . 

Yes, I mean just "Open" no need to modify.  We also thought, this is something we cannot do with current functionalities. Please let us your thoughts, may be a work around you can think of ?

Thanks 

@Yama_Vin 

I can just think of implementing a Flow triggered when an HTTP REquest is received (premium), so instead of sharing the document URL, you share this Flow URL.

Users would download the document through this Flow URL. THe flow would send a notification when a file in a SharePoint document library is downloaded for the first time. Also, if no one downloads a file for 5 days , flow has to send another notification to the team. 

Do you have a premium license? Does this weird aproach fit your requirements?

Hope his helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi again!

Anoher approach:

implementing a PowerApp, so instead of letting people access the Library directly, they shall request documents through this powerapp. PowerApp lists all documents in the library.

Users would request access to any document through this PowerApp. Once requested, PowerApp + Flow would grant access to the document, or even send the document to the requestor via email. The flow would send a notification when a file in a SharePoint document library is requested for the first time. Also, if no one request access to a file for 5 days , flow has to send another notification to the team. 

Does it make sense for you?

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yama_Vin ,

Sorry for there is no action could check if the file is opened during a period of time in Microsoft flow currently and I'm afraid that there is no any way to achieve the requirement within Microsoft flow.

Best regards,

Alice   

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@efialttes  Sounds Great !  

One question, I have few folders in the Document Library and these contract files are under "Contracts" folder inside document. 

Can we get items from the "Contracts" folder only in PowerApps Gallery ?  

Thanks

@Yama_Vin 

So my last suggestion sounds a good, right?

THen I have good and bad news. Bad News? I used to be a very active PowerApps user but my org decided to remove the license 2 years ago, so my knowledge is a bit rotten. Good news? I am getting Power Apps license back next month!

Since I am afraid you cannot wait a couple of weeks for my advise, my humble suggestion is:

1.-Mark this topic as "Solved" by clicking "Accept as a solution". THis way others with the same problem can find a solution faster. Please also note you can even select several responses as solution, even from different community members!

Flow_AcceptSolution.png

2.- Open a new thread for your next question, following the policy: 'One Question, one post'. This way you have more chances to attrack attention for superusers that are seeking for unanswered topics.

3.- (OPTIONAL) Click on 'Thumbs up' in any of my answers in this current thread if you found them valuable... or even in all of them 😉

Flow_thumbsUp.png

Even though this 3rd step is OPTIONAL, please remember it is the cheapest, easiest way to say thanks to somebody that simply tried to help, specially on weekends. And just between you and me, everytime an inspiring answer receive a kudo in this community, an ewok escapes from The Emperor menace 

Thanx for your help making this community great!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,947)