cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shado42

Checking if SharePoint Person Field is Blank

I have a basic flow that checks to see if various fields are blank when a list item is added or updated.  Four fields are hyperlinks and one is a person field.  I'm using a series of conditions that checks to see if each field is equal to the expression Null.  It works fine for the hyperlinks.  However, it always shows the person field as containing data, even when it's a new record where no information was selected for that field.  I know the person field in SharePoint is technically different since it's a look up.  How can I best check to see if my person field is empty?  I don't care what data is actually present.  I just need to delineate between nothing has been selected and something has been selected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @Shado42  please try this option

grater.PNG

lenght counts the characters of your field, so if you have 0 it means emty.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @Shado42  please try this option

grater.PNG

lenght counts the characters of your field, so if you have 0 it means emty.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

View solution in original post

Thank you, @ChristianAbata.

I was able to use that to get to a workable solution.  What I found interesting is that even on an empty person field in SharePoint, it still returns 2 characters.  In my case, I simply set my condition for 2 characters or less and it worked.  I know there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes for that type of field.  When I added my name (11 char), the total shot to 380.  I don't think I'll ever have to worry about a valid name being 2 char or less.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,443)