Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yusha
Level: Powered On

Checking if an Item is Updated or Modified

Flows has some serious issues.

I have two lists. List A and List B.

I have a Choice option on List A that specifies three choices: Send to List B, Other, Misc.

What I Want to Happen

1. If a User creates a new Item in List A, and selects the Send to List B Choice, and presses Save - The Item should be added to List B

2. If a User modifies an Item in List A, and the Send to List B Choice is selected upon Save - The respective item in List B should be updated.

What is Actually Happening

1. This works perfectly.

2. When a user modifies an Item in List A that exists in List B, the Item is not getting updated. Instead Microsoft Flows decides that this is all of a sudden a new item and decides to add it to List B again with the exact same information. I think it is adding the same item and assigning it a seperate Internal ID.

When I go to see the history of the flow runs I am hilariously getting a "Bad Gateway" error which is misleading because that is obviously not the issue.

For some reason the referential integrity of the Item is failing. It is not able to associate my Item in List A with List B on an update even know I specified it in the flow.

The Error Message That Makes no Sense  (Note: I have removed Client IDs for security reasons)

{
  "error": {
    "code": 502,
    "message": "BadGateway",
    "innerError": {
      "status": 500,
      "message": "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.\r\nclient
    }
  }
}

My Flow

FlowSucks.PNGFlowSucks2.PNGFlowSucks3.PNG

Is flows really this broken? Why was this product released in this state? This is absurd.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Checking if an Item is Updated or Modified

Hi @Yusha,

Please modify the flow in your third image as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

Yusha

@v-yuazh-msft This is not the solution. Notice that I renamed my Title column to Project ID so your logic would never work.

It looks like the underlying issue is renaming the Title Column in Lists.

You all should really do some Unit Testing concerning the referential integrity of renaming the Title column and then using it in flow logic in Lists.

With that being said, if I renamed my Project ID column back to its original default ugly name that makes no sense, Title , then your solution works.

Though it baffles me that the User has to first in flow logic, run a Apply Each case to each item in the list in a loop, this logic should be behind the scenes, I shouldn't have to "Get Items". The whole process is convoluted for simply Updating an Item in a seperate List.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Yusha,

Please modify the flow in your third image as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

Yusha

@v-yuazh-msft This is not the solution. Notice that I renamed my Title column to Project ID so your logic would never work.

It looks like the underlying issue is renaming the Title Column in Lists.

You all should really do some Unit Testing concerning the referential integrity of renaming the Title column and then using it in flow logic in Lists.

With that being said, if I renamed my Project ID column back to its original default ugly name that makes no sense, Title , then your solution works.

Though it baffles me that the User has to first in flow logic, run a Apply Each case to each item in the list in a loop, this logic should be behind the scenes, I shouldn't have to "Get Items". The whole process is convoluted for simply Updating an Item in a seperate List.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,489)