cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Choices, xpath, & [Brackets]

Hi all, I'm using xpath(xml(json(concat('{"root":{"choices":', item()?['MyValue'] , '}}'))), '/root/choices/Value/text()') to return an array from my Sharepoint list for each Choices column type and adding it to an HTML table.

When the values appear for each of the Choices columns, they appear in the HTML table as ["Value1","Value2"] but I want them to appear as Value1, Value2.

I've been trying to use replace unsuccessfully, so far, to strip out the brackets and quotes around each of the values so only the value itself is returned. ?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Choices, xpath, & [Brackets]

Hi @russrimm 

If you are getting results as  ["Value1","Value2"] you can assign it to an array variable to get each value as you expected.

Array.png

Now being said that i am not sure if this is your issue, if not please share a screen capture and a bit more details of your flow.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thanks Deepak, I can get them into an array, I guess what i'm not sure if is once I get them into the array how to get them into my html table without the [""] around the values.  I can't initialize an array variable in an Apply to Each, so it seems like ultimately I need to somehow initialize the array and join the values with a comma and then insert that into each row in my html table just to get rid of the [""].  When I try to initiailze the array it automatically adds an apply to each and then I get an error letting me know I can't initialize an array in an apply to each.  My first step is a "Get sharepoint items" and then 3 of the columns are a "Choices" type and may have more than one value.  Those are the ones i'm trying to strip the brackets and quotes from when they're added to my html table.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @russrimm 

Can you share a screen capture of the flow so i can understand /help you better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @russrimm ,

Please try to use Join to remove brackets and quotes, since that it is an array.

192.PNG193.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

If I try doing an initialize variable of the Array type, as soon as I add my "Choices" column, it automatically adds an Apply to Each step and then tells me that I can't have an initialize array as the first step in an Apply to Each.  I just want all the choices they selected (the choices columns allow multiple selection) to show in the CSV and HTML tables without the ["   "] around them, otherwise it's working OK as it is.  It just gets the items and adds them all to a csv and html, but the Choices columns are always adding the [" "].

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@russrimm  could you share an screanshot to understand better?

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @russrimm ,

I remember that I have responded to this question and provided some suggestions in the email message you sent me. Please check it.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Come join us today! Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,174)