cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thacob

Column format using power automate/flow - update item?

Hello!

I would like to use a flow to change the background color of a column in a SharePoint list. The reason that I would like to use a flow, is because it depends on the responds of an approval process.

Background:

A requestor sends an item for approval and it has to go to three people. When they respond, their comment is automatically put into their respective comment column and the final approval status column is based on their approvals. This works great!

I have the following:

Column 1 = Approver 1 Comment

Column 2 = Approver 2 Comment

Column 3 = Approver 3 Comment

Column 4 = Approval Status

I would like:

I would like an extra indicator which shows what each approver responded, not just the summary in column 4.

For instance, if Approver 1 and Approver 2 says "Approve" and Approver 3 says "Reject"

Then,

The column containing comments of Approver 1 and Approver 2 will have a green background - indicating that they approved.

However, the column containing the comment of Approver 3 will have a red-ish background - indicating that they were the one to reject.

The Approval Status will, in this example, turn red (this works already).

I would like to know if it's possible to change the format of a column using Power Automate/flow - something like 'update item'?

Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pcraig
Regular Visitor

@Thacob  I have done this exact thing.
Suppose your list has a column which is updated from flow with the response from the approval process. 
You can then use column formatting to set the background color for that column or row based on the value.

If you need something more complex, then you can format any column in the list based on the value in the approval response column using column formatting JSON.
If you only need the approval response for formatting other columns you can hide it from the list view.

[Edit] After re-reading your post, it occurred to me that part of the problem lies with working with multiple approvers. My process involved multiple parallel approvals so I'm able to get the response from each person that way.
This post might help you: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Approvals-Multiple-Approvers-How-to-capture-all-t...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Brad_Groux
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is not currently something that you can do with the SharePoint connector. With that said, you may also review working with lists and list items with REST API.

If this is functionality you would like to see added to Flow, a Flow Connector, or a Flow Template, please consider submitting it to the Flow Ideas page, where it can be voted on by other users, and tracked and commented on by the Flow team.

If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE.

pcraig
Regular Visitor

@Thacob  I have done this exact thing.
Suppose your list has a column which is updated from flow with the response from the approval process. 
You can then use column formatting to set the background color for that column or row based on the value.

If you need something more complex, then you can format any column in the list based on the value in the approval response column using column formatting JSON.
If you only need the approval response for formatting other columns you can hide it from the list view.

[Edit] After re-reading your post, it occurred to me that part of the problem lies with working with multiple approvers. My process involved multiple parallel approvals so I'm able to get the response from each person that way.
This post might help you: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Approvals-Multiple-Approvers-How-to-capture-all-t...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (850)