Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lardo5150
Microsoft
Microsoft

Compare Two Excel Tables - Update One

So I have a spreadsheet - SS1

It has two talbes.  Table 1 and 2.

Table 1 has a ton of columns.  But it has a Name Column that is important.

Table 2 has a Name column and a Manager Column.

Table 1 has a ton of data that gets updated.  The user's name can appear several times in the table as they may own several tickets.

I have added a column to Table 1 called Manager.

I want to compare the two tables.  If Name in Table 1 matches a name in Table 2, then it updates the Manager column in Table 1 with the Manager listed in Table 2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
edgonzales
Super User
Super User

@lardo5150 

Hi there.  So, you don't really need to step outside of Excel to do this (if I understand the scope correctly).  Index/Match or Vlookup could probably do the same thing much quicker.

If you're wanting to use it as an exercise in Power Automate, then we can step through a couple of things, but I thought I'd check our options first.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edgonzales
Super User
Super User

@lardo5150 

Hi there.  So, you don't really need to step outside of Excel to do this (if I understand the scope correctly).  Index/Match or Vlookup could probably do the same thing much quicker.

If you're wanting to use it as an exercise in Power Automate, then we can step through a couple of things, but I thought I'd check our options first.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

@edgonzales  this is my first attempt after I did some searching.

I am not sure what it was doing, but it started adding the manager to the column, but it was adding the wrong manager.

So I have SpreadSheet 1, with Table1 and table2

Table1 has like 400 lines.  It is a list of cases that my engineers own.  Engineers can be listed multiple times.

Table 2 is just a list of my engineers, and their manager name.

I am trying to grab each line from Table1, check if the Engineer matches an Engineer in Table 2, and then update Table 1 with that manager name.

Flow 1.JPGFlow 2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to compare strings from an excel table to strings in a cds table. if they match I want to update the date.

PowerPlatguy_0-1621969155234.png

varDFN is set to these values:

PowerPlatguy_0-1621968767311.png

osp_name from the cds table outputs similar values, but not exact  - for example, they all have dfn_ in front of them. To remove 

the extra from the front I used the substring expression here: 

PowerPlatguy_1-1621968867357.png

When I compose it it brings back values that match the values in my excel table. 

However... when I try to filter my table with this expression

PowerPlatguy_2-1621968934211.png

I get an eror that tells me the value on the left of the equal sign must be from the same entity. I thought the point of setting variables was to be able to use them in whatever context works for the flow. 

Any ideas? If someone has the time I'd be glad to share a screen and talk it through. 

thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,764)