cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kamotekid
Frequent Visitor

Compare date to determine week number of an event

Hi!

Here's a snapshot of the table I'm working on.  I am filtering rows whose start and end dates are current, based on utcNow(), and this flow will run as a weekly report.

kamotekid_0-1624135748331.png

In addition, I have a sharepoint list that contains Fiscal calendar details, like WeekOfYear, DayofYear, etc. 

Should I use that to determine what week the 'Title' is in based on the 'Proposed Start Date'?  For example, I want to use flow to output based on today's date, that we are on week '3' of the 'Siig Inc' row because its 'Proposed Start Date' is '07 Jun 2021'. I guess that mean using utcNow() to count number of weeks from 'Proposed Start Date'.

The values will be collected into an email body, arranged first by the Select action adn will look like:

'TITLE'  'Proposed Start Date'  'Proposed End Date'  'Event Week Number'

I was hoping for an easier way without having to reference the Fiscal calendar SP list, like a formula I can plug into an 'Apply to each' loop.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ccc333ab
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you just use a mathematical formula to calcualte it out? Assuming start date is always Monday...you can: 

• Days difference between Today's Date and Start Date 
  • Then divide that by 7 to see number of weeks (but just the quotient)
  • Then add 1 since the first week will give a zero, but you'll say that is in the first week

So in Power Automate, I'd use this formula: 

add(div(div(sub(ticks(utcnow()),ticks(formatDateTime(variables('strDate'),'yyyy-MM-dd'))),864000000000),7),1)

Just replace variables('strDate') with whatever your start date is. Explaning this a bit but I can explain it moreif you want:  

• Need to format the date coming out of excel as you'll be getting a string date (thus the formatDateTime expression)
  • the div/sub/ticks/840000000000 stuff is how you go about and calculate out the difference of dates in days
  • div will divide this by 7 (and only returns the quotient)
  • add will add the extra day

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ccc333ab
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you just use a mathematical formula to calcualte it out? Assuming start date is always Monday...you can: 

• Days difference between Today's Date and Start Date 
  • Then divide that by 7 to see number of weeks (but just the quotient)
  • Then add 1 since the first week will give a zero, but you'll say that is in the first week

So in Power Automate, I'd use this formula: 

add(div(div(sub(ticks(utcnow()),ticks(formatDateTime(variables('strDate'),'yyyy-MM-dd'))),864000000000),7),1)

Just replace variables('strDate') with whatever your start date is. Explaning this a bit but I can explain it moreif you want:  

• Need to format the date coming out of excel as you'll be getting a string date (thus the formatDateTime expression)
  • the div/sub/ticks/840000000000 stuff is how you go about and calculate out the difference of dates in days
  • div will divide this by 7 (and only returns the quotient)
  • add will add the extra day

View solution in original post

kamotekid
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @ccc333ab 
Ok, I'll try this out today.  If I already have the excel string 'Proposed Start Date' formatted to MM-dd-yyyy from a previous flow, should I still convert it to yyyy-MM-dd first?

ccc333ab
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

No, you shouldn't have to just as long as the date is in a date format (not a string). 

kamotekid
Frequent Visitor

@ccc333ab - I just tried it now, and it works flawlessly!

Many thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,308)