cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevon
Level: Powered On

Complicated approval advice

I have a business case for a very complicated approval flow that does not seem to fit within any of the examples I've been able to find, and was looking for some pointers on IF it can be done, and directions on how I might start implementing it.

I need to create an approval process which has a couple different paths to success and failure.  The background is that we have a governing body consisting of 4 people.  One of the people is not very responsive, so if the three other people grant approval, and the non-responsive person does not respond in a period of time (say 1 day), then the approval passes.  In all other cases, an approval is granted or declined by a majority vote, with ties decided by the vote of the governing body leader.

To put this in more concrete terms, Let's call the people Tom, Rich, Harry, and Bob. Bob is the CEO, and gets tie breaking powers, or essentially, he gets 2 votes which must be cast the same way.  He's also the one who is non-responsive at times.

Scenario 1:

Tom - Approve, Rich - Approve, Harry - Approve, Bob - No Response : Request == Approved 

Scenario 2:

Tom - Approve, Rich - Decline, Harry - Decline, Bob - Approve: Request == Approved (tie won by Bob's vote)

Scenario 3:

Tom - Approve, Rich - Approve, Harry - Approve, Bob - Decline : Request == Approved (three votes to 2)

Scenario 4:

Tom - Approve, Rich - Approve, Harry - No Response, Bob - Decline: Request == Rejected, no majority approval (2 - 2)

So, is this possible? If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Complicated approval advice

Here's an article on how to configure the timeout.  Its in the settings for the Approval Action.  Then you set the RunAFter settings on whatever next action you want.  You can essentially do one thing if it times out and another if it doesn't.

https://www.o365dude.com/2018/06/02/timeout-flow-approvals/

In terms of the three days, again I think you would have to do a condition to check if its not Mon-Thursday and go down a parallel path that would have different timeouts.

There really isn't a way to give a person two votes.  You would have to build that into how you evaluate what comes back.  It will be complex logic, but should be doable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The Voting can definately be done.  Its accounting for the non-voter that is the issue. Flow Approvals can be set so either everyone must approve or one person must approve.  There is no option for 3 out of 4 approve.  Assuming you are willing to live with a timeout on the Approval (where you evaluate it all at the end of 24 hours whether everyone responds or not) then your scenario would work. But that only leaves the 3 responsive voters 24 hours to respond or the timeout fires and the results are evaluated.

Highlighted
Kevon
Level: Powered On

@Pstork1  I think I'm good with the 24 hour timeout all the time.  Is there an article on configuring a timeout on an approval?  I can't seem to find one. I assume there is the ability to also test for if not enough people voted, and maybe even re-start the process... like in the case where something was triggered late on a Friday before a holiday weekend...  might be 3 days before people would respond...  Again, articles or documentation is fine, I just have not had luck. Most of the things I've found include a parallel process, and that does not seem to be an option anymore.

For the voting, how would you go about granting one person two votes?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Here's an article on how to configure the timeout.  Its in the settings for the Approval Action.  Then you set the RunAFter settings on whatever next action you want.  You can essentially do one thing if it times out and another if it doesn't.

https://www.o365dude.com/2018/06/02/timeout-flow-approvals/

In terms of the three days, again I think you would have to do a condition to check if its not Mon-Thursday and go down a parallel path that would have different timeouts.

There really isn't a way to give a person two votes.  You would have to build that into how you evaluate what comes back.  It will be complex logic, but should be doable.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 111 members 5,264 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: