cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thuff
Helper I
Helper I

Concatenate to Rolling Update Field (e.g. audit trail of sorts)

i have 2 SP multiline text fields , one field is used as a 'weekly update' field and the other one is called 'rollingUpdate' (set to 500 lines). both of these fields DO NOT have 'append to existing text' enabled

The behavior i'm trying to create is that when the SP list is modified, a condition checks if 'Weekly Update' has changed and if so, it appends the current value of 'weekly update' to 'rolling update'. The condition checking is working fine and the value from weekly update does save correctly to 'rolling update' - the issue is that rolling update is completely over written each time. E.g. when i expect rollingupdate to have this:

date, time, latest update

date, time, update3

date, time, update2

date, time, update1

i actually wind up with this

date, time, latest update

Am i close?

audit.png

4 REPLIES 4
DeepakS
Super User
Super User

Hi @thuff 

Try to add compose action before update list item and add your concat expression there and use the output of that in update list item for RollingUpdate fileds.

Let me know if this does not fix your issue.

If you find my posts helpful, please mark with thumbs up

If this solves your issue, please click "Accept as Solution"

Any questions, just ask.

Hi @DeepakS 

I really appreciate your guidance and help. So i tried putting the variable after the condition but before the update list and it wasn't working, so what i strip out that condition  - i will check if the update value was equal to the top line of the rollingupdate AFTER I get this right - too many variables messed up my ability on this but right now it writes anytime that list is changed which probably isn't great). I ended up getting very simple (i'm guessing inefficient but i don't think efficiency is flow's selling point, perhaps i'm wrong). this is what i ended with..(which has led me to another question based on the results at the bottom).....

image.pngimage.png

given that 'block of data' and for the fact that i am going to use specific entries based on date e.g. returning the last 3 days of updates, would it be better if saved the data differently in there?

Thanks very much - this is super helpful

Hi @thuff 

Glad to know that you were able to move forward.

Couple of point:

I would prefer to use "Compose" action instead "variable".

If you are planning to use the data for future reporting i would add different character just after date  like  ":" instead of  "|" and other places use "|" , so you can easily split it in [Date and Value] for other purpose.

But what you have achieved seems good to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

hi @DeepakS 

Thanks for that insight - good advice.  Is the preference for compose over a variable due to performance or something else? Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,896)