cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JHA-MCT
Level: Powered On

Condition to match multiple entries in a value

I am trying to perform one of two actions depending on the file extension of an uploaded file. If a file has one of several (around 12) extensions I want to perform Action A. if the file extension is anything else then I want to perform Action B.

I cannot use basic mode conditions in Flow because there are not enough rows for each of the file types, so I have tried using the more adfvanced Expressions option. I have put in the following syntax:

or(endsWith(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.docx'),endsWith(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.xlsx'))

but when I upload a docx file (or a pptx file) the result is always false, and only Action B ever gets performed. 

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Condition to match multiple entries in a value

Hi @JHA-MCT ,

Is this works for you? The first step pass your file extension. Second flow action extend all 12 extensions with comma separated. Finally check whether it contains?

contains.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JHA-MCT ,

What is the trigger in your flow?

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Please check if the expression triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'] could get a file name with expression without encoded, I afraid that the expression would give a encoded file name so the Condition would always with false result.

If the expression would give a encoded file name, you could add a get file metadata action to get the file name and then use it in the Condition.

Please let me know if your problem could be solved.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JHA-MCT

So I didn't know how to get the file extension out in the first place. I tried split() on the filename with extension like so: 

split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')

Which appeared to work (from the test run). I then used last() to get just the extension (which shows as docx in the test run), however I then have a compose step to try to create the comparison array:

Flow-composeArray.png

And then the comparison step:

contains(outputs('Compose'),variables('fileExtension'))

However when I run it fails and I get an error about comparing an entry in the array:

Flow-arrayError.png

So I'm a bit lost - in the test run all the variables appear like strings, and appear to have the expected values in them.

JHA-MCT

These are the initial steps I am doing when a new file is added to library:

Flow-initialSteps.png

Super User
Super User

Hi @JHA-MCT ,

You need to use FilenameWithExtension property. Once you got the filename then use the split function to get the extension.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

JHA-MCT

Hi @abm 

I tried that, but as you can see from my earlier reply, when I try to use contains() to match the extension, I get some kind of mismatch error.

Super User
Super User

Hi @JHA-MCT ,

I have constructed a flow and tested this. Try the following:

Here first we need to set the trigger and initialise valid extensions.

a1.png

Next initialise a variable called Document Extension. Check whether user added a folder or file. Because in SharePoint users can create folders or upload a file under a particular folder / root of the library.

a2.png

Next we need to extract the uploaded file extension using split statment and compare the value against ValidExtension varaible we defined earlier. For the split function please copy this

split(triggerBody()?['{FilenameWithExtension}'],'.')[1]

See the below Yes condition flow action below.

a3.png

Next you can extend your logic under the Yes condition appropriately.

Here are my test results:

a4.png

If you need any further help please let me know.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,019)