cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Convert an array to string in Power Automate (MS Flows)

converting an array value to a string using Power Automate out of the box function.

"how to convert an array to string" in MS Flows.

Basically, we can use "split" function to convert an array into string but we may end up having extra column to the last value. To remove that we have to use another expression which checks for the string length and removes the last character [

substring(variables('varListOfRequestIDs'),0,sub(length(variables('varListOfRequestIDs')),1)) ].

To avoid the whole cumbersome process, we can leverage Power Automate's simple and out of the box function - join

Here is an to show how can we convert an array to string. for instance let's consider, we have an array [796759,933436,926050,1388108,762632,764554]. But as per the requirement, we need to convert it to string and send that value as 796759,933436,926050,1388108,762632,764554. 

varListOfRequestIDs = [796759,933436,926050,1388108,762632,764554]

varStringListOfRequestIDs : join(variables('varListOfRequestIDs'),',') gives us 796759,933436,926050,1388108,762632,764554

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Convert an array to string in Power Automate (MS Flows)

hi @krishnags  Sorry if I missundersthand but you can use the expresion String('Yourvalue') to convert what ever you want to string.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

@ChristianAbata Yeah, I agree. But in the example I have given, I need to have an array to convert as string from [1,2,3,4,5] to 1,2,3,4,5 which altogether changes its data type and the value with out brackets. But when I tried with sting(variables('varArray')), it was giving me the value as string but with brackets. So, I thought of sharing this with you all and might help.

feel free to add your thoughts to this.

function: joinfunction: joinfunction : stringfunction : string

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

ok @krishnags  please do this to delete the last and the firts character from string.

1.PNG2.PNG

substring(outputs('Compose'),0,sub(length(outputs('Compose')),1))

substring(outputs('First'),1,sub(length(outputs('First')),1))

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

@ChristianAbata yeah, but if we go with JOIN, we can eliminate  substring(outputs('Compose'),0,sub(length(outputs('Compose')),1))  this finding length, getting substring and all. simply use JOIN and get the things done 🙂

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

shure @krishnags  so this solve your problem or not friend jejeje

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (11,508)