Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DDCJOEE
Level: Powered On

Converting powerapps collection to excel spreadsheet

Hello,

I am trying to allow users of an app I am building to export their data to an excel spreadsheet. This seems like it should be a pretty straightforward thing to do, given that PowerApps Collections are basically just data sets, but I am hitting a brick wall in terms of the combined functionality of PowerApps and Flows.

All I need to be able to do is take the data from my collection, export it to an Excel XLSX file and then email it to them. 

The pieces seem to all be there, but they're just unable to speak to each other. Has anyone accomplished this or something similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DDCJOEE

Re: Converting powerapps collection to excel spreadsheet

For anyone who runs into the same issue as me trying to export a collection from PowerApps to an Excel file, this is how I did it. Once I parsed the JSON, I created a CSV table. I then created a .csv file with that table in a OneDrive folder that's shared with my internal users. The issue I ran into after that was that there's no native support for converting a .csv file into an excel .xlsx file (why is beyond me). However, you can sign up for a free account on Cloudmersive https://cloudmersive.com/, and there's a function to convert a csv to xlsx. This worked perfectly for me, and I can now let my internal users export the data that they build in my app. Below is a screenshot of my final flow.

2019-11-14 15_04_49-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DDCJOEE

I am so close to figuring this out. 

2019-11-14 13_34_02-Run History _ Power Automate.png

In the screenshot above, I am taking the collection in JSON format from PowerApps, parsing it in Flows, then doing an Apply_to_each to update rows in an excel table. I can do 90% of that, but I hit an error when trying to map the JSON fields to the Excel table. The expression I am using is item()?['Headline']

Has anyone had success with doing something similar to this?

DDCJOEE

For anyone who runs into the same issue as me trying to export a collection from PowerApps to an Excel file, this is how I did it. Once I parsed the JSON, I created a CSV table. I then created a .csv file with that table in a OneDrive folder that's shared with my internal users. The issue I ran into after that was that there's no native support for converting a .csv file into an excel .xlsx file (why is beyond me). However, you can sign up for a free account on Cloudmersive https://cloudmersive.com/, and there's a function to convert a csv to xlsx. This worked perfectly for me, and I can now let my internal users export the data that they build in my app. Below is a screenshot of my final flow.

2019-11-14 15_04_49-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,553)