cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhitchlockfcs
Resolver II
Resolver II

Copy/Duplicate a Flow in a Solution

I have a Flow in an existing solution for which I need to create several variants. Ideally I would copy the flow and edit the copy. 

Unfortunately the copies are created outside the solution and are not visible to import into the solution.

Any ideas on how to replicate a Flow inside of a Solution?

Thanks,

Brian

26 REPLIES 26
rvroman
Frequent Visitor

After following the above (thanks @abm ), upon import, I get an error: 

The solution file is invalid. The compressed file must contain the following files at its root: solution.xml, customizations.xml, and [Content_Types].xml. Customization files exported from previous versions of Microsoft Dynamics 365 are not supported.

Could this be due to the editor I used to edit the customizations.xml file? Other ideas?

@Welbywelb , I'm absolutely new to Postman and a lot of web-tinkering, but I followed your recommended steps and think I found what was needed, but the response I received was:

{
    "error": {
        "code""UnsupportedMediaType",
        "message""Unsupported media type."
    }
}

The flow does have child flows, not sure if that's the "unsupported media type", of if there are other ideas.
kat_rock
Frequent Visitor

Amazing work @Welbywelb and @zolle04
These instructions and screenshots made something that seems overwhelming at first really easy. Thank you so much!

kat_rock
Frequent Visitor

@rvroman I know this is an old post, but if it helps I had the same error which resolved by selecting 'raw' and 'JSON' for the body

kat_rock
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone
Here are the individual steps of @Welbywelb solution using Postman:

1. Within the solution, create a new flow with a few basic steps and save it. This is your target flow which will be over-written with the flow you are going to duplicate. Take note of the name because you will need it at Step 9.

2. Open the inspect window for the target flow and navigate to the "network" tab. Click 'Save' on the flow and capture the PATCH post URL and Bearer token.

3. Go to the flow you want to copy (your source flow) and in Chrome open the inspect window and navigate to the "network" tab.

4. Click 'Save' on the flow and capture the body of the Patch command (Payload > Request Payload > View Source > Show More. (Starts with {"properties":..)

5. Go to Postman (https://www.postman.com/) and create a new Patch request.

6. Add the URL from Step 2

7. Select the Authorization tab and select 'Bearer token'. Add the Bearer token from Step 2

8. Paste the body of the flow you want to copy from step 4 and select ‘raw’ and JSON.

9. Edit the "displayName" in the body so it matches exactly what you called the target flow.

10. Hit Send and the target Flow should be updated with the contents of the flow you just copied.

Welbywelb
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thank you kat_rock - yeah sorry I had missed the raw/JSON selection in Body type when I wrote that up. Still cannot believe this functionality is now available natively 😞

Thanks a lot for that.

First of all, thanks for that... it's unbelievable that we need to do this to copy a flow to the solution...

One thing I believe is also worth mentioning is that you need to increase the version on 'solution.xml' if you intend to import the solution back to the same environment.

russoedu_0-1658849402753.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,480)