cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Copy SharePoint list data to another SharePoint list (only certain fields)

I need some assitance and guidance.

Setup:

List 1

Have several columns, 1 multivalue select, 1 title, and several general text columns.  This list may have mutliple entries with the same title.  For example:  I enter data in the list and give it a Title like Duane Test.  I then add a new item a week or so later, I use the same title of Duane Test, but update the other fields. (I am using a direct url for new list item for end user convience).  So there may be several or dozens of entries for the same title.

I would like to copy the data from the Title, and several text fields to another list, but I would like to only create 1 row for each title and update the row if it changes in the source list.  

List 2:

Single row, that is updated if changes recorded in List 1 based on the Title

copy some of the fields from list 1 to list 2, but not all.  

At this point the flow runs successfully, but no updates are being done in list 2 (meaning no new entries or updates).  the list is blank, evern after several flow runs.  

FLOWLISTHelp.png

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

@DuaneAlleman :

I would restructure Flow as follows:

1. Use an OData filter with Get Items so that only with a Title that matches what you want are returned
  2. If no records are returned, create a new item
  3. If there is a record returned, update it. 

You'll be inside of a loop when you create or update the item but only 1 item should be returned.

Let me know if you need an example

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thanks Scott!  I will try that.  I removed the Apply to each and Value from the create item and ran the flow again.  it created 1 new record, evern though there are about 4-5 other unique (non duplicate titles) - it did not create those items.  

I will now test your suggestion and post a reply.  thanks!FLow remove apply each.png

is this the proper way to do the OData filter on Get items?  The flow runs sucessfully, but no changes are made to the list... even though there are several other unique titles in the source list.

Flowlist update2.png

@DuaneAlleman

You need a space after Title and before the single quote.

Also, Here is an example of how I suggest configuring Get Items and the condition that follows:

Empty.jpg

If no items are returned, create a new item.

If an item is returned, update it.

If this works for you, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Hi Scott,

@ScottShearer

THANK YOU SO MUCH for you HELP!!! 

It is mostly working now.  I made the changes you suggested - and now I have the additional entries.   

But when I add a new entry and use the same title and update the Week 2 Points  column (on the first entry this column was empty) , but this time I leave the Week 1 Points and Week 3 Point empty - it creates a new entry instead of updating the existng entry.FlowListUpdate3.png

Any sugestions on how to update a single entry on the destination list?

Thanks!

Duane

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,089)