cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Copy data from custom library column and writing to a custom library column

I am new to flows and relatively new to SharePoint Online. 

I've investigate this but have not determined how it can be done in Flow. Perhaps it can be done with SharePoint designer but I haven't started to learn that yet.

I have a library that I've added a lookup column to. I would like to have a flow that would read the data in this column when someone changes it or a new item is added to the library.

I would also like to be able to write data to a single line text column for a file in the library when someone changes it.

Thanks for any help or direction in this.

McKinley

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ MWood,

Could you please explain more details about your requirement?

Could you please share more details about your sharepoint library?

I have made a test on my side and have created a sharepoint library with a look up type column "lookup" and a Single line of text type column "singlelinetext".

And I have created a flow as screenshot below to get the value in the look up type column "lookup" and then update the Single line of text type column "singlelinetext":

Capture.PNG

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Hi Alice Zhang,

Thankyou so much for responding so quickly and taking the time to give me some examples. 

We are using office 365 Preimum with SharePoint Online. I am an administrator for our SharePoint.

The SharePoint library that I have set up will contain various types of files related to our construction projects. There are PDF, JPG, DWG, RVT, Docx, xlsm, and a few other obscure file types. Often times a single project will approach the 5000 item limit of the list view. 

I want to use metadata with an indexed column to defeat this list limit and to enable the users to consistently catagorize a file. One of the most important categories is the Job Name. Because it is too easy to make a mistake when entering something in the job name column I set up a list that has Job name as unique. There will be 100's of job names. In the library the job name column is a lookup column that will get it's value from the unique job name list. But, as I understand it, a lookup column can't be used as an index to help with the 5000 ltem limit. So I thought to make a single line text column that would contain the Job Name and could be indexed to eliminate the item limit. 

When a user creates a new file they would select the appropriate job name from the dropdown list. 

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to take what was entered in the job name look up column and put it in the Text column that is indexed. There is probably an easier way to accomplish this than what I have described.

I tried to follow the example you displayed, but could not get past the compose step because there is not any dynamic content for me to select the "lookup Value" parameter from. I tried it at the library level and the site level.

Thanks again,

McKinley

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (13,037)