cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy data from selected cells in Excel spreadsheet into a Word Template and Save as a new Word document

Hello, complete newbie here 🙂

I need to copy/extract text from around 15 cells (from one row) of an Excel spreadsheet in Onedrive, and using that information, create and populate a Word document in Onedrive using a pre-built template. Is that possible?

I can't seem to find any help on exactly what I need to do. I literally know nothing, have no idea where to start, and after a day of researching help articles am no wiser. If anyone could let me know how to do this or point me in the direction of an exact help/example, that would be great.

Huge thanks 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi!

First you need to decide which trigger should execute your flow. Are you gonna execute it manually? Do you want it to be executed everyday at the same time? Do you want it to be executed when a new excel file is uploaded to your OneDrive?

Then for the second part (read a table on a well known Excel file) I would recommend to use 'List rows present in a table', please read this thread carefully

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/List-Rows-Present-in-a-Table-Microsoft-Flow/...

For the third part (populate the info in a word template) I would recommend this other

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Create-a-file-with-a-word-template/td-p/91648

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

If you just need to get one row in the Excel file to put it into the doc file, you could refer to the following steps:

1. Get the row according to the key value of the Key column;

2. Put these columns into the Compose action to structure an object array;

3. Create an HTML table;

Annotation 2020-04-14 160133.png

4. Put the table into the content of the new doc file.

Annotation 2020-04-14 160142.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@efialttes Thanks so much for your reply, I will take a look at the links you posted. The information would always be taken from the same Excel file, but from new rows as I populate them with the relevant info. I would like to trigger it by having a column in the spreadsheet which reads e.g. [Doc Export = Yes] for the row(s) where I want to export the data from and create a new document.

I guess ideally would let the process run (and the documents be created) then once it's happened, change [Doc Export = Yes] to [Doc Export = Complete]. The process would then start again when I add [Yes] to the next/new rows.. (which could be the same day or next week.. etc..)  Does that make sense? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@efialttes @v-litu-msft Hi folks,

Thanks again for the information. Unfortunately I will have to leave it there I'm afraid as I am unable even to locate my document on the first step of [List Rows Present in a Table]... and that's just the first hurdle. I simply don't understand enough about this entire process and unfortunately don't have weeks to spend researching it. I do appreciate your help though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,059)