Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy file from Subsite to Main Site Flow

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to Flow and I've been playing around trying to make some tests for some workflows I want to implement in my SharePoint site.

What I need to do is very simple:

Every time a file is created within a folder of a subsite, copy that same file to another folder within the main site.

1out2.PNG2out2.PNG

However, when the workflow runs, I get this error message:

{
  "status": 404,
  "message": "The file /Marketing/BrandTest/4.docx does not exist.\r\nclientRequestId: c4ff919c-f6ef-425e-8535-d350659bf472",
  "source": "https://siteurl.goeshere/Marketing/_api/web/GetFileByServerRelativePath(decodedUrl=@p)/Etag?@p='%2fMarketing%2fBrandTest%2f4.docx'",
  "errors": [
    "-2130575338",
    "Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException"
  ]

Why is it telling me this? I have manually added a test file to the BrandTest folder but I still keep getting the same message over and over.

Am I doing the flow wrong? Am I missing something? Is it even possible to move files from a subsite to the main site through a workflow?

Thanks beforehand for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Copy file from Subsite to Main Site Flow

Hi Kberrio,

Per my test, copy files between subsite and main site is currently not possible. It seems that this action only works within the same site.

Please consider to use the action “SharePoint – Create file”. This action will be able to create a file in the main site when the file is created in the subsite.

I have made a test on my side, and the action “create file” works fine.

3.PNG

Please take it for a reference and try it on your side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Kberrio,

Per my test, copy files between subsite and main site is currently not possible. It seems that this action only works within the same site.

Please consider to use the action “SharePoint – Create file”. This action will be able to create a file in the main site when the file is created in the subsite.

I have made a test on my side, and the action “create file” works fine.

3.PNG

Please take it for a reference and try it on your side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa, I never thought that this was even possible. It just reminds me of how powerful MS Flow is and what it is capable of doing.

Thank you so much your help!

Super User
Super User

Hi,

You can copy SharePoint folders and subfolders cross-site in Microsoft Flow with the help of Plumsail Actions.

It has Plumsail SP connector that provides a set of actions for SharePoint management, including copying folders cross-site.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,564)