cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stmoong
Frequent Visitor

Copy files and retain the original modified date

Hi,

I am trying to build a flow to copy files from one connection to another connection.

I am using File System connectors. As a workaround, I am using the Get File Content from connection 1. Then, use the Create File for connection 2. The result is the file gets created, but it has a new modified date.

Is there a way that I can retain the modified date (?? metadata) of the original file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can post an idea here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

The high voted ideas would be reviewed by powerapps product team.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
EricaBao
Microsoft
Microsoft

The behavior you are seeing using the “Create File” action is what I would expect. You retrieved singly the file content from an existing file and create a new file with the same content. That creation counts as a modification. I don't really see a possible way to get around that since it actually does count as a modification.

stmoong
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way not to use the Create File?

I can do copy and paste from Windows Explorer and the modified date is the same as that of the original file. I would like the same behaviour.

Are you using the same connection or different connection? I mean same account to connecting to file system or different account? If same, you can try the action "Copy File' or "Move File"

stmoong
Frequent Visitor

I am using 2 different connections. - one for source folder, another for destination folder. I am not able to use the same connection as they have different paths.

The connections are file system and I use the same company credential to access both folders.

You can have a try of the Copy File or Move File action.

stmoong
Frequent Visitor

The File System only has Copy File action. I can only specify one connection with the Copy File action.

So, I am unable to copy file from one connection to another connection without using the current way, i.e. Get File Content Using Path action for connection 1, and Create File action for connection 2.

I can't find the Move File action in File System. Also, I want to leave the original file in connection 1, and not deleting it.

So, it seems there is no way to retain the modified date currently. Can we have this option implemented in the future?

You can post an idea here https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

The high voted ideas would be reviewed by powerapps product team.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (67,234)