cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelodyShults
Level: Powered On

Copying a document and its Metadata using flow

My team does all thier working document inside MS Teams and when we are ready for them to be consumed by the company we have to manually copy them over to a public library and then apply the custom metadata. The metadata is a content type with custom columns. 

I have been trying to figure out how to copy over the file along with the custom metadata that we assign to it when it is ready for approval. I can copy the document no problem, but when a I add Get file metadata, get file properties the flow fails at copy. If I remove all actions after copy it copies fine without the metadata of course

What I am looking for is the step by step on how to create a  flow that would be a manual flow so we can run it off a single file. It gathers the approval and then copy the document along with the custom metadata fields if the approval is "Approved". 

Any help would be creatly approciated!

FlowCopy.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Copying a document and its Metadata using flow

@MelodyShults 

Let's see if any of the suggestions in the following posts can fit your requirements

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/how-to-copy-metadata-from-source-library...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Copy-file-and-it-s-properties/td-p/11257...

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

MelodyShults

Hi,

The first link takes me to a metalogix blog page not to the actual blog that contains the information

The second link I have tried.

Thanks,

Mel

@efialttes wrote:

@MelodyShults 

Let's see if any of the suggestions in the following posts can fit your requirements

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/how-to-copy-metadata-from-source-library...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Copy-file-and-it-s-properties/td-p/11257...

Hope this helps

imoran

Why not use the SharePoint action "Move File" - this will move the file intact with all metadata (and version history) as long as source and destination libraries have the same metadata.

Sounds like we are working on the same application. My users author the files in Teams and then (for now) manually Move them to a Drafts library where content types are applied. From here a manual flow kicks off approval and Moves the file to a Published docuemtn library. Move is important here because it adheres to a single instance of the file.

Ian

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @MelodyShults ,

Could you please share a full screenshot of your flow's configuration?

I have made a test with 'Copy file' action, below the action I added 'Get file metadata' and 'Get file properties'.

It works well on my side.

Capture8.PNGCapture9.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

MelodyShults

Thank you for your suggestion however I get a 404 error with the message file can't be found.  which is the same error I get in the first flow.

MelodyShults

I like the idea. Can you send me what your flow looks like?

Thanks

Mel

imoran

Approval-flow.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 347 members 6,035 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: