cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create File from SharePoint List

Hello All,

I want to create a Word Document(without Premium) using a SharePoint list, Document library with custom Content type added.

I have a document library that has columns and a word template defined by a custom content type. My requirement is whenever an item in another SP list is created, a word document should be created in the Document library.

My Flow has the below actions:

1. When an item is created or modified
  2. Get Item
  3. Create File - Under Create File, what should be given for property "File Content"

Kindly suggest.

Thanks 

Anu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hey @Anonymous 

You can populate a word template without the premium feature if you use Document Property Quick Parts.  Basically you create columns for file metadata and you can pull this into your template.  I've done a demo of this here.

You need to get file content of your template

Create file using the above content

and then Update File Properties with your dynamic content

When you then open the file, it will pull the content dynamically from the metadata stored in the columns.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hey @Anonymous 

You can populate a word template without the premium feature if you use Document Property Quick Parts.  Basically you create columns for file metadata and you can pull this into your template.  I've done a demo of this here.

You need to get file content of your template

Create file using the above content

and then Update File Properties with your dynamic content

When you then open the file, it will pull the content dynamically from the metadata stored in the columns.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @DamoBird365 ,

Thanks for the blog and it indeed helped me in getting thru the actions without taking any premium one.

For my requirement, I would need to generate a word document instead of pdf, so i have skipped the steps of creating in OneDrive and generated the word document. Things are good till the word document has been created and the file properties are updated with list item values. But the strange thing is the same Document properties when i have used in the word document to autopopulate failes to update the value.

I find the Update file Properties updating the column in the document library but not the word document content. Isnt it strange? 

Can you please suggest on what could be done?

Thanks

Anupama

DamoBird365
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you screenshot the word doc in the doc lib? I think you said it is but Is the column data populated? 

Try reinserting the web parts to the document? Or try metadata like last modified?

Are you opening the doc in the browser client or in the desktop client? Try it in the other.

Damien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DamoBird365 ,

Please find below the screenshot of the generated word document where in the properties are not populated though the library column are updated from list. 

I have reinserted the document property  also by adding it under a table as well as a text field but same result.

Have opened from both browser and client application but it still is the same.

Anupama_0-1619205691171.png

Anupama_1-1619290409408.png

Thanks

Anupama

Hi @Anonymous 

What happens when you insert other properties like author?

DamoBird365_0-1619291090277.png

Presumably all of your properties show under document properties?  If your document has metadata stored against the columns, you should be able to select and view the dynamic data in realtime when you open the document for editing.

Cheers,
Damien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DamoBird365 ,

I figured out the issue behind it. When I open the document in browser, it displays with placeholder as shown in my shared screenshot but when i opened in MS Word Client application, the field values were populated. So I guess that was with the browser which didnt support. 

Thanks for your timely inputs. Helped me alot.

Thanks
Anupama 

The link provided for the demo does not work. Could you please provide an updated link?

wilkest141
Regular Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (1,744)