cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

Create File in Local File System - fails on File Contents

I am trying to create a flow where a user can click on a file in SharePoint and have it copy to a local network drive. The Gateway connection seems to be set up just fine, but the flow fails saying the file cannot be found in the Get File Content step. The ID property comes from the For a Selected File dynamic content.

2020-08-02 10_45_00-Edit your flow _ Power Automate and 32 more pages - Power Platform Service - Mic.png

If I hardcode (select a specific file via the document browser) the file path and name, it works fine:
2020-08-02 10_47_55-Edit your flow _ Power Automate and 32 more pages - Power Platform Service - Mic.png

But obviously I need the user to select the file. 

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Create File in Local File System - fails on File Contents

Hi @EdHansberry 

Action Get File Content Identifier requires a full path. It won't work with Id. Yes its a bit misleading. You need to get the full path using Get File Properties and use the action Get File content using the path.

Try the below

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @EdHansberry 

Action Get File Content Identifier requires a full path. It won't work with Id. Yes its a bit misleading. You need to get the full path using Get File Properties and use the action Get File content using the path.

Try the below

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Get File Content Identifier requires a full path. You can  get full path using Get File Properties and then use the action Get File content using the path.

Highlighted
Advocate V
Advocate V

Thanks @abm - took a bit of tinkering, but it works now.

2020-08-02 18_14_42-Edit your flow _ Power Automate and 37 more pages - Power Platform Service - Mic.png

The only issue now is when it posts a message to Teams saying it succeeded or failed, it will not @ a user. Using the "Post a message as a Flow Bot to channel I can type this in the message:

<at>username@companyname.com</at>

It will notify username. But when I use a variable for this, it just posts the user's email in plain text with notification. Suggestion on that?

Regardless, thanks for the help on the original issue. I never would have figured out the correct steps to use.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,226)