Level: Power Up
Accepted Solution

Create Item - Sharepoint list fields missing

When I attempt to create a Flow which has an action to create a Sharepoint List Item, the fields that are supplied when the list is selected is a much smaller subset of the fields which that list item has. There are about 20 columns in my list and only 10 or so show. I have some additional fields that I need to update in my FLOW but they are not visible at this time.

CreateItem.PNG

Has anyone run into this issue yet?

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team

Re: Create Item - Sharepoint list fields missing

Hi Ccoffman,

I got the same result as you did. I assume that some column types in SharePoint list are not supported by the fields in Flow so they will not appear there. Here is my test:

1. My SharePoint list columns, most named according to the column type name. 19 in total.1.JPG
  2. In Flow, only 13 of them are shown. Column types like Person or Group, Choice, Lookup, Hyperlink and Picture, etc. are not supported and weren’t shown.

2.JPG

Microsoft will continue to invest in the integration efforts with more templates for more services and a more complete experience within SharePoint itself. In addition, MS also plan to enhance the flow authoring experience for SharePoint by:

• Adding read/write support for Person and Taxonomy column types (currently we have read only support)
  • Enabling look up of multi-value properties such as Single-choice, Multiple-choice, and Lookup columns
  • Adding ways to leverage your existing SharePoint workflows in Microsoft Flow.

As you know, Flow is still a preview product and you are always welcomed to tell your feedback. Here is the forum link where you could tell MS what you think:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mona Li

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Support Team

Hi Ccoffman,

I got the same result as you did. I assume that some column types in SharePoint list are not supported by the fields in Flow so they will not appear there. Here is my test:

1. My SharePoint list columns, most named according to the column type name. 19 in total.1.JPG
  2. In Flow, only 13 of them are shown. Column types like Person or Group, Choice, Lookup, Hyperlink and Picture, etc. are not supported and weren’t shown.

2.JPG

Microsoft will continue to invest in the integration efforts with more templates for more services and a more complete experience within SharePoint itself. In addition, MS also plan to enhance the flow authoring experience for SharePoint by:

• Adding read/write support for Person and Taxonomy column types (currently we have read only support)
  • Enabling look up of multi-value properties such as Single-choice, Multiple-choice, and Lookup columns
  • Adding ways to leverage your existing SharePoint workflows in Microsoft Flow.

As you know, Flow is still a preview product and you are always welcomed to tell your feedback. Here is the forum link where you could tell MS what you think:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mona Li

Level: Powered On

Hi Mona,

This post was from October 2016, is there any official update on when this is coming? For us to commit to using Flow, it needs to support all data types for Sharepoint List columns, including managed metadata term sets and site columns. And we need the same thing in Document Libraries. I understand that it's still in Preview release, but I'm a bit surprised that you guys didn't start with this core functionality for your own platform. Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook connections are all well and good, but we have more traditional business needs like moving files and metadata between Outlook and Sharepoint, so getting and setting any and all column values is essential.

Thanks!

Go

I definitely agree with Bjorn. The fact that we're comin up on 6 months since that last response with NO additional updates is NOT a good sign. I am extremely frustrated because for us Office 365 customers, Flow is the closest alternative to the full-fledged capabilities of the Sharepoint workflow that is present when using Sharepoint Designer in a on-premise version of Sharepoint. So, for Flow to be so pitifully limited in its capabilities this long after it first debuted (even if it was a "preview" mode) does not bode well for its chance at continued future success. It seems like Microsoft did what they often do, which is come up with something that might actually be a good idea if it was implemented using some amount of logic, but instead leave it to die on the vine because of their inability to recognize the shortcomings that are obvious to everyone else. I saw a similar post on their idea forum from a year ago, and the Microsoft rep said they planned to fix this issue in the future. Well, it's been a year since that post, and there still is no sign of any fix coming anytime in the near future, if ever. 

Like Bjorn mentioned above, instead of focusing on silly and relatively frivolous integrations like the various social media options, and slew of other integrations to seldom used tools and apps, you might want to work on getting the basics down first. There's no reason that you can't build the capability to update the different column types in Sharepoint lists, as well as the document libraries, through Flow. Right now, Sharepoint is only a fraction of its full self in the Office 365 offering, so it would be nice to try and fill in the gaps in those types of tools and apps first.

Level: Powered On

I very strongly agree with what Go said here. For me, Flow is first of all a business tool for SharePoint, not a toy for social media! Can we get an update? Do we get an idea when Flow might be released for General Availability as a business tool?

OMG, I had this working a month ago!

THIS WAS WORKING THIS MORING AND NOW ITS BROKEN AGAIN!

Im catching an emails to an email address.

Saving the attachments into a SPO document lib.

Creating a SPO list item for each attachment with email info and a hyperlink to the document.

I discovered a problem in that a email with the same document attached would replace the earlier one.

I added a COMPOSE "@formatdatetime(addhours(utcnow(),12),'yyMMdd_HHmmss ')" to create a date pretext to the filename.

When I tried to add that to the create file action the "attachments" previous step data had vanished and I wasnt able to place it in front of "filename" or "name" (cant remember which it is, attachment name).

Rebuilt the FLOW and all was good, in the Create list item action placed into a Hyperlink the exact same info I had before.

All was the same but for the added datetime stamp on the create file, BUT now the Hyperlink field wont populate when it had before.

And us guessed it, I had over written the original FLOW - MY BAD!

Did the just remove the functionality again or what????????????????????????????