cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DallasBland

Create Item fails - user field left blank

Hi team. 

I have a question I am hoping someone can help with.

Scenario:

I have created a flow that takes the input from a MS Form, creates an item in a SharePoint list, then send out a bunch of approvals depending on selected options.

It is triggered when a form is submitted > gets form details > gets user details > then creates the item.

In the form the submitter needs to enter their manager, but if they have special requirements they need to enter a delegate, but not necessarily.

The Create Item action is failing if the submitter doesn't enter a delegate as the user is not recognised, because the delegate field is left blank.

That field needs to be filled in for the flow to create the item in the SP list and continue to the next step of the flow. 

Question:

Is there anyway I can tweak the expression in power automate to say leave blank, or fill with 'blank' or something, if the field in the form is left empty? To enable to item to be created and the flow to continue.

Thanks all

Dallas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DallasBland :

I suggest you create a variable. When the field in the form is empty, the variable value is empty. When the field in the form is not empty, search for user information and get the user name and save it in this variable.
Finally, use the value in the variable when submitting the item.

vbofengmsft_0-1639707759601.png

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DallasBland :

I suggest you create a variable. When the field in the form is empty, the variable value is empty. When the field in the form is not empty, search for user information and get the user name and save it in this variable.
Finally, use the value in the variable when submitting the item.

vbofengmsft_0-1639707759601.png

Best Regards,

Bof

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,558)