Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NathanMowat
Helper I
Helper I

Create Outlook Calendar Event When SharePoint List Item Is Modified

Hi,

I have created a holiday planner app in power apps using a SharePoint list. What I would like to do, is when the Approved column (in the SharePoint list) is updated to say "Approved", an event is scheduled in the person's Outlook calendar based on the 'Title' field matching the 'created by' field (please see the first image) I.e. the outlook calendar of whoever created the item.

The list is not synced to a SharePoint calendar. I have attached a screenshot of what I have tried so far, based on similar requests in this forum, and the error message that returns (Please see screenshot 2)

Sharepointlist.png

PA.error.3.png

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks 

Nathan 

5 REPLIES 5
sudharsan1985
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @NathanMowat 

The error is due to the invalid type to date field named LeaveDate. I suggest you convert the SharePoint date format and then pass the output to the Update action.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...
PeggyLang
Helper V
Helper V

@NathanMowat you have an interesting flow.  I recently created an approval flow which triggers when new PTO request is entered into MS Forms.  Flow is triggered to initiate Approval from manager, upon approval create an item in SP list, send email to requestor and create event in Managers calendar (free, all day event) so that he has immediate visibility to any planned absences.  
I'm curious in your scenario how the item changes from 'Pending' to either 'Approved' or 'Rejected'?  I'm thinking that the Power App is used as the intake of information, an item is created on SP list which then triggers and Approval flow?

Hi @sudharsan1985,

Firstly, thank you for your help I really appreciated it. I have converted my 'Leavedate' column in my SharePoint list to the format 'mm/dd/yyy hh:mm' so I am still wondering why the same error is being returned. Here's how my SharePoint list looks now and my flow. 

flow.4.pngflow.5.png

Hi @PeggyLang ,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. Yes, you are correct, the Approve column is updated in the PowerApp.  Basically, an employee logs in to the app, fills out a form, which then creates a item in the SharePoint list. Their manger gets a notification to approve/reject the request, which is done done within the app. So the part I'm stuck on is, when the list item is updated to read "Approved" the 'leave date & return date' is used to create an event in the person's (who created the request) outlook calendar. I'm interested in the flow of how you created the event in the managers calendar, maybe a similar flow could be used in my situation.  

@NathanMowat you pose a great question.  I have built and tested my flow with myself as the Approver.  So when I create an event in the Calendar I'm assuming the Outlook 'Create event' action is connecting the individual who is approving.  So I'm not sure now if this is going to actually create an event in Manager's Calendar.  I'll have to test that and update you.

Alternatively I think you could use dynamic content (approver email) as a 'required attendee' on the calendar event.

PeggyLang_0-1605124680492.png

Post testing - The only way I was able to get the event in the managers calendar was to include them as a 'Required Attendee'.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,689)