cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rharris
Level: Powered On

Create Planner Task and Include Attachments From Outlook Email

I am working on a project to create an internal request and corresponding task management system using a PowerApps form, Sharepoint, and Planner.

The form enables users to define a request related to our accounting systems, such as new user setup, issue reporting, or reporting requests. The form allows users to add attachments. The form data is entered as a list item in Sharepoint, and I have a Flow set up to create a task in Planner as well as Update the task details. While researching how to add attachments to the task details, I came across @AlanPs1 's solution to adding attachments to a Planner task via email. It seems like a similar process, but as a relatively new user, I'm not sure how to get it to work.

This is my current Flow:

image.pngimage.png

Also, I'm not sure what "Apply to each" does, although apparently it's required.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Create Planner Task and Include Attachments From Outlook Email

Hi @rharris ,

You could refer to the following method to configure Flow.

The main thing to do is to use array variables to form References in the task details.

• First use Get attachments action to get all the attachments contained in the item and initialize an array variable.
  • Then iterate through Body and append each attachment's name and Uri to the array variable.
  • Finally, the variable is used as a Reference fill.

Image reference:75.PNG

76.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @rharris ,

You could refer to the following method to configure Flow.

The main thing to do is to use array variables to form References in the task details.

• First use Get attachments action to get all the attachments contained in the item and initialize an array variable.
  • Then iterate through Body and append each attachment's name and Uri to the array variable.
  • Finally, the variable is used as a Reference fill.

Image reference:75.PNG

76.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rharris

@v-bacao-msft , thanks for your help with this!

This appears to work for the most part -- I am able to get an attachment to show up in Planner, but not in the attachment field. It doesn't seem to work with multiple attachments or also allow me to also link to the Sharepoint list item with the reference. I'm also having issues with any field where more than one item is selected -- which is probably best for another topic.

Also, what is the purpose of the 5 minute delay? To allow the attachments time to upload?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @rharris ,

The function of Delay is to wait for the creation of task, because in many cases, the occurrence of "task not found" occurs after executing Update task details action immediately.

Your actual situation seems to be more complicated. Many of the fields output you use are arrays, which is more complicated to handle.

I think the proper workaround is to directly access the list item. Since the content in Description is from the item, then don't need to add extra fields to display in Description, just view the list item.

Image reference:

48.PNG

49.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

rharris

I was already able to figure out how to link to the list item. It sounds like that may be the best option. At least this is now documented for someone else who may want to add attachments.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @rharris ,

Thank you for your reply.

If your problem has been solved, please click “Accept a Solution” to mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Best Regards,

rdubs
Level: Power Up

Hi @rharris 

I had a similar requirement to create Planner tasks from Sharepoint lists, including attachments.

I got most of the way there with a flow which includes Get Attachments > Apply to each > Add Referenence 

The only thing I don't get in MS Planner is an image on the task card. I assume it's because no thumbnail is created when adding attachments in Sharepoint when adding an item to the list. 

When I get more time I'd like to try @AlanPs1 method for creating folders and then linking to those as references, as I think the thumbs might be created that way.

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 14.11.00.pngScreenshot 2019-04-15 at 14.11.10.png

rharris

@rdubs 

Were you able to get multiple attachments to show up in Planner? I gave up on adding attachments when it seemed that wasn't possible.

Isn't the thumbnail determined by the "show on card" field being checked in Planner? I don't know if there is a way to control that field through Flow.

rdubs

@rharris 

Yes, I can get mulitple attachments from Sharepoint list New item to the Planner Task.

The Get Attachments and Apply to Each steps of the flow do this.

Take a look at my Flow above, but let me know if anything is unclear (treat to 2 images as a single flow, I've simply snipped these from a flow which had a parallel action)

Once the flow has run, the last attachment to be added end up with "show on card" checked, but it doesn't actually show on the card:

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 16.55.19.png

rdubs

@rharris 

Worth noting that I Update Task Details twice, once for the Task Description, and a second time to Get the attachments.

The Apply to Each is only used for the second Update Task Details.

Update Description

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 14.11.00.png

Get Attachments

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 14.11.10.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 192 members 3,669 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: