cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marco_popolizio
Level: Powered On

Create Planner task from .xls

Hello everybody,

First of all, I'm not really confident with Flow, thus please apologize for any silly question I may make.

I'd need to import details on tasks (including task name, deadline and assigned person) I have in an .xls table into Planner, but I'm not really understanding how to do it. I've tried to look online for a solution, but couldn't find any advise.

Could you please tell me what are the main steps I should follow?

Many thanks,

Marco

9 REPLIES 9
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Create Planner task from .xls

Hey @marco_popolizio 

You can add an action to List rows present in an excel table and reference the file that has all the details here. Now add an Apply to each control and select Value from the dynamic selector for this. Now you can add a create a task action and provide all the necessary information. 

This will get rows from excel and create planner tasks according to the information provided. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

marco_popolizio

Thanks so much Yashag!
I managed to import everything but the due date, the error I get is this:

{
"error": {
"code": "",
"message": "The request is invalid:\r\nCannot convert the literal '43762' to the expected type 'Edm.DateTimeOffset'.",
"innerError": {
"request-id": "a9c30408-3ab3-487b-bcfb-3532e2bf20f1",
"date": "2019-11-06T13:14:40"

In the .xls, the dates are written as number  (43762 = 24/10/2019) and shown in date format, thus I wonder how it should be written to be accepted on Planner. How can I turn the number into into 'Edm.DateTimeOffset' format?

Many thanks again!

Marco
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @marco_popolizio 

Yes. This is a known issue with the excel connector. 

2 ways to resolve: 

1. Select the entire column in excel and change the data type to plain text. 

2. Follow some responses here that have shared the expression to convert that number to the date time string. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Excel-dates-turned-into-integers/td-p/130364

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

marco_popolizio

Thanks @yashag2255 !

Unfortunately, I can only use Excel Business (I see the other option Excel OneDrive but I cannot make the login).

I'm trying to use the expression I read in the other post ( addDays('1899-12-30',float(items('DeliveryDate')?['Date'])) ) but the error I get is:

The template validation failed: 'The repetition action(s) 'DeliveryDate' referenced by 'inputs' in action 'Create_a_task' are not defined in the template.'.

Can't understand what I'm doing wrong 😞

Cattura.PNG

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @marco_popolizio 

In the planner action, remove the date attribute now. Only the expression should be there. Can you make this change and see if you continue to face the same issue? 

Hope this Helps!

marco_popolizio

I managed! 🙂

Just another question: is there a way to import tasks Notes/Comments and Labels from .xls? I don't see this field among the "Create a task" fields.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @marco_popolizio 

Nope. Currently labels is not supported for tasks. You can create an idea post for that or upvote already existing ones here: 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Hope this Helps!

marco_popolizio

Ciao!
Just a quick question: is it possible to have a task with multiple assignees? How should I separate the e-mail addresses?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @marco_popolizio 

You can use a ';' separated string of emails to the assined user ids field and it will detect all the users from there. Are you facing any issues with that? 

Hope this Helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Coming Soon: T-shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,132)