Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AnthonyJackson
Level: Powered On

Create SharePoint list items from Excel rows - Email attachment

Hi guys,

I am new to the community and to Flow but it looks a powerful tool if you know what you are doing with it! Smiley Happy

I am having some challenges trying to pull data from an Excel sheet and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction:

The goal is:

1. Client supplies an Excel file via email

2. Flow picks it up and places in OneDrive.

3. Flow then uses the get rows to loop through each line.

4. Flow then creates a new item in a list already setup from the data from the sheet.

So far I have managed to get the Flow working fully if I pick the Excel file already on OneDrive.

What I cant get working is for Flow to use the file supplied via email dynamically.

Ive seen some posts online about playing around with the sheet name to use filepath and file identifier with no luck on both (both give me different errors)

Error with using File path: Failed to read metadata from file source: Response from the end service is: Bad Request

Error with using File Identifier: Failed to read metadata from file source: Response from the end service is: Not Found

Please see SS of the Flow below:

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 10.01.01 am.png

If anyone can help that would be great!

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Create SharePoint list items from Excel rows - Email attachment

Hi @AnthonyJackson,

I'm afraid that this cannot be achieved so far. As you could see, the File Name field in get rows need to be specified and cannot be a dynamic content. The table field also need to be picked from the dropdown list when you create the flow. 

If you need this, please post this idea in the Flow Ideas forum, so it might be considered for future releases.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Regards,

Mona Li

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SamPo
Level 8

Hi,

Did you ever find a way of making this work?

I am also looking for a similar solution.

Thanks,

Sam

AnthonyJackson

hi @SamPo

I found a solution but via a different method.

I wasnt able to generate a list from and email attachment as you need to select the workbook and table number within the flow.

I got it working by having a fixed document on my OneDrive rather than having it from an Email.

But, In theory you might be able to get the email attachment to update the 'fixed' document first and then fire that to the Sharepoint list?

Hope this helps?

SamPo
Level 8

Hi,

Yes I also came to the same solution as a workaround. It fell apart for me though as my Excel contains formulas which are not currently supported. 

Thanks,

Sam

AnthonyJackson

What functions?

you could just remove them before uploading/emailing.

Select all the rows/columns, copy and paste special as values.

Not ideal but would work

Thanks

SamPo
Level 8

I'm setting up a flow for users to enter info into an excel template with a hidden sheet that will perform calculations based on the user input. I then need those results to be added to a sharepoint list when the excel is emailed to me.

This is a form sent multiple times a day and I don't want to have to edit each one every time. There's another discussion regarding this issue here 

In the long run I'm working on a better plan using powerapp sharepoint list forms but they are still missing alot of the capabilities I require.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 272 members 4,678 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: