cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Create Teams Meeting Scenario

We have put together an event registration Powerapp that connects to a few Sharepoint lists. 

Event list - handles event name, start time, end time, details, Room Capacity & Teams URL.  (The teams URL requires you to create a

meeting through teams or Outlook and paste the URL into the PowerAPP)

Event Registration List - Contains the various events employees have registered for including their name, email, event details, Teams URL, etc.

I incorporated the teams URL as we are not seeing the ability to create a teams meeting within PowerAutomate so this is simply us experimenting and are considering removing it however would be neat to get operational.

I am simply looking for some input or ideas on if anyone else has built something like this and has some recommendations on better methods.

When the employee registers for a an event we have a flow that uses the Create Event V4 which uses the required field and populates their email from the registration list.  This sends them a meeting invite including details.

As you can see this is not a teams meeting action so we are using the teams URL from the upstream list.  I am hoping there might be a more elegant way to do this.  Also, what is confusing the flow considers the original creator of the flow the meeting organizer so whoever created the flow always is the organizer.  Not sure if this could work in production as typically I believe you need various people who are administering the meetings to be the organizer and not a hard wired organizer that cant be changed.  Also, the creator of the flow would be the organizer of 100s or 1000s of meetings.  As you can see there is no option to change the organizer within the flow.  To get the meeting invite to send to the employee who registered you include their email in required which seems to work as expected.

A.png

Also, another undesirable outcome since this is not a native teams action we assembled the teams URL in the body of the flow as seen above.  Within Outlook the hyperlink works however Outlook does not recognize it as a native Teams meeting and does not have the Join Teams meeting icon visible.  I feel like all these items could be properly addressed with the a native teams meeting action however if anyone has any input on this your experiences I would like to hear them.

B.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Create Teams Meeting Scenario

Hi @Dudditz ,

The organizer of the event would always be the creator of the flow, since the event creator is the connection account of the "Create Event" action, and there is no any way to update the event creator when the event is created.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dudditz ,

The organizer of the event would always be the creator of the flow, since the event creator is the connection account of the "Create Event" action, and there is no any way to update the event creator when the event is created.

Best regards,

Alice       

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Alice, thank you for your feedback.  You have basically confirmed our findings.  While I understand why its doing this it seems to make logical sense people will want the ability to have flow determine the organizer with dynamic values and also the native ability to create a team meeting instead of hacking one together as I have.  I will check to see if this exists on user voice and if not will add.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dudditz ,

Yes, if you would create an idea in the ideas forum, you could attach the link here so we would vote for you.

Best regards,

Alice       

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

We need an option to create teams meetings in power automate.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, @Dudditz ...  how did you create the team meeting link and thus initiate the team meeting? MFG

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

This is how we have constructed a clickable teams meeting within creating an event.  It's not a true one for one and will not be recognized as a teams meeting by Outlook where you have the Join Teams meeting button however the link does work and will launch teams.  Its a fair amount of moving parts and unless there is interest I will show some high level direction that should help fill in the blanks.

The underpinnings are a power app.  The process is you create your calendar event like you normally do within Outlook.  After that you can consume it from the Powerapp as seen below.  You can select your calendar or room calendars or possibly any calendar you have access to, have not tested that.  Select the correct event in the power app and it will pull various fields.  Normally the Body field is hidden however its displayed right now for your reference.  This field has the various HTML link information for the teams meeting.  When the submit button is selected it will save this information to a series of Sharepoint Lists and there is another View within the PowerApp that lets employees sign up for events, cancel, etc.

1.jpg

2.jpgThe body section of the flow is how we are assembling a link that actually launches the teams meeting.  This information is captured upstream within the powerapp when the employee selects the meeting in the photo.  Please note, its been 5 months since I have even looked at this app and most of this was built over a few days so I don't remember everything off the top of my head.  Sadly, there was a major issue in the event connector within flow in how it behaves that prevented us from launching and we have not revisited this since February so it never went into production.  The issue was something along the lines in how whenever you would modify your events  like cancel or sign up for an existing event the creator would get a notification for everything.  I would have to revisit this to better explain however due to time constrains at the time we had to pivot and use a 3rd party solution for our even bookings until we had more time to see if there are other options.  This issue is well known and for many solutions makes it unusable, just search around for events connector notifications if your interested.

It may not be pretty however the functionality was pretty slick.  Here is the all events gallery after they are setup.  Anyone can setup events and you can filter by room, dates, etc.  When you click on an event it displays all the event details and gives the employee the option to register which fires off a flow and inviting them automatically.  This is where the clickable link built above that launches the teams meeting comes in.  The my events shows all the events you have registered for where you can cancel an event and this uses another flow to remove from your calendar.

3.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,121)