cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DS2
Level 8

Create a Flow to notify a person to review a Document one year after the Published Date

I have a Date Field in a SharePoint library called "Published Date." We'd like a message to be sent via Flow 1 year after this Published Date to (so if the Published Date was February 11, 2018, the message to review would be sent on February 11, 2019) a person to review the document. How best would we start?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Create a Flow to notify a person to review a Document one year after the Published Date

@DS2:

The best way to approach this issue would be to start with a recurrence trigger - run the Flow once a day.

I would then use a time action to find the date 12 months in the past.

Use an Get Files - Properties Only action with an OData filter so that only the files you want are returned.

The expression in my OData filter looks like this:

formatDateTime(body('Get_past_time'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

Finally loop through then and send the email.

Below is an example that runs successfully.

Please note that the OData filter uses a columns internal name.  If you have a space in the Published Date column, it will probably look just like my example.  Also note the single quotes in the OData filter.

PastDate.jpg

If this requires more explanation, please let me know.

If this addresses your issue, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: Create a Flow to notify a person to review a Document one year after the Published Date

@DS2:

The best way to approach this issue would be to start with a recurrence trigger - run the Flow once a day.

I would then use a time action to find the date 12 months in the past.

Use an Get Files - Properties Only action with an OData filter so that only the files you want are returned.

The expression in my OData filter looks like this:

formatDateTime(body('Get_past_time'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

Finally loop through then and send the email.

Below is an example that runs successfully.

Please note that the OData filter uses a columns internal name.  If you have a space in the Published Date column, it will probably look just like my example.  Also note the single quotes in the OData filter.

PastDate.jpg

If this requires more explanation, please let me know.

If this addresses your issue, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

Scott

View solution in original post

DS2
Level 8

Thank you, this is so close! I ran into a bit of trouble with the Published column in the OData Filter, though. It does not show up in Dynamic Content (although the site and library showed with no issue). It has no spaces in it, so I did place it in as Published eq' and then the time\date expression. When I run the Flow, it shows as a "bad expression" on that OData Filter Step. 

Super User
Super User

@DS2

Can you tell me if the Published column is a calculated column?  Is it a column that you added to the library or was it added by SharePoint?

Also, please double check that you are using the columns internal name.  Go to library settings and click on the column name.  You'll see the internal name at the end of the URL after "field=".

Scott

Scott
DS2
Level 8

Scott, thank you for your help. 

It is a Date\Time Field and not calculated - as it is named "Publish" only, there are no special characters within. I think it was added to the library and not by SharePoint. However neither it or any other columns show in the dynamic content (although the site did and upon choosing the site, the document library came available). 
Published.jpg

Super User
Super User

@DS2

Sorry, one more question.....

When you are looking at Dynamic properties, do you see the word "more" by the action name?  If so, click on it and let me know if you see the column.

Scott

Scott
DS2
Level 8

Hi,

When I click into the Filter Query, the only Dynamic content that comes up is Past Time and I don't see a more:

2019-01-31 16_56_49-Edit your flow _ Microsoft Flow.png

Super User
Super User

@DS2

You need to put a single quote after the expression in the OData filter.   See my example.

So, there should be a space after eq then a single quote followed by your expression and ending with a single quote.  Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Scott

Scott
DS2
Level 8

Fabulous, thanks so much for your help - it is working great. 

Joao_Oliveira
Level: Powered On

Hey, everybody!

Thank you very much for your clarifications, but I ask you for help in a flow that I want to build that is very similar to yours. 

The documents that are uploaded into a sharepoint have several editing/validation states until they reach the "Pronto a publicar no site" state:

Anotação 2019-11-08 102220_LI.jpg

What I want is to set up a stream that only reminds me after 6 months that the documents that have the status "Pronto a publicar no site" need to be reviewed.

I built the flow according to your explanations but you are returning an error in the ODATA filter: 

InkedAnotação 2019-11-08 103304_LI.jpg

The expression of the date is this: formatDateTime (body ('Obter_tempo_passado'), 'aaaa-MM-dd')

@ScottShearer 

Super User
Super User

@Joao_Oliveira 

I believe that you are seeing the error because you need to put single quotes around the formatDateTime  expression.  Unless the parameter is a number or a constant like null, true, etc., you need the single quotes.

Scott
Joao_Oliveira
Level: Powered On

@ScottShearer 

Thank you for your answer.

However, it still gives error even with the single quotes in formatdate.

Anotação 2019-11-11 1149533333.png

What is happening is that I don't know how to write the expression. I want only documents that are in the RevisionValidation column with the state "Pronto a publicar no site" to be reviewed after 6 months.

How do I write this expression?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 176 members 5,113 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: