cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbin
Level: Powered On

Create a Group Event: can't specify time zone

One of the tasks of my Flow is to create an all-day event in a group calendar.

All events created via this connector are created with timezone = UTC. This becomes an issue when viewing the event in a non-UTC timezone, as an all-day event becomes a 24-hour event.

For example, 2017-01-01 to 2017-01-02 is an all-day event for 1 Jan 2017. When viewed in a UTC+11 zone, this becomes the 24-hour event 2017-01-01 11:00:00 to 2017-01-02 11:00:00, spanning two days.

Other connectors (e.g. Create Event V2) have the ability to specify a timezone, why is it left out here?

It's worth noting that the following constraints exist:

• All-day events must start and end at midnight

• Events are stored as UTC
  • Attempting to specify an offset in the Start/End Date fields (e.g. 2017-01-01T00:00:00-7:00) results in the error "All-day events must start and end at midnight"

See also: CreateCalendarEvent_Response here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/office365groups/

EDIT: This ability exists in PowerApps, but appears unavailble in Flow: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Office-365-Group-Connector-Available/td-p/691...

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Create a Group Event: can't specify time zone

Hi @rbin,

Thanks for your feedback, could you please share a screesshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you set Is All Day field to Yes within "Create a group event" action?

When working date and times, all times in flow would be converted into Universal Time (UTC or GMT) automatically. If you set the Is All Day field set to yes wihtin "Create a group event" action, you should type a midnight time wihtin Start Time field and End Time field.

In addition, if you want to create an all-day event in a group calendar, you could consider take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a proper trigger, here I use Flow Button trigger.
  • Add a "Create a group event" action, Start Time field set to following formula:
2018-01-24

End Time field set to following formula:

2018-01-25

Is All Day field set to Yes.

Image reference:23.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:24.JPG

25.JPG

I have made a test on my side and find that the default time zone of Start Time and End Time within "Cretae a group event" action is UTC format, we could not modify it in Microsoft Flow currently. If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
rbin
Level: Powered On

Re: Create a Group Event: can't specify time zone

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the reply. 

Perhaps explaining my use-case will help.

I'm trying to create a flow for an Leave Request. Once this leave is approved by the relevant parties, the flow is to popluate an administration calendar with an all-day event. This is a group calendar.

I have no issue creating an all-day event using date-only inputs (as your flow does), but this is created midnight-to-midnight in UTC. Of course, when viewed by anyone outside UTC, the event is no longer 'all day'. What is required is a midnight-to-midnight all-day event in UTC+11.

Below are screenshots of the input/output of the Action. The Output timezone is UTC, but there is no option to specifiy a timezone in the Input.

Other "Create Event" actions allow the timezone to be specified, allowing the all-day event to be created in the relevant timezone. However, Create Event V1 and V2 both cannot interact with Group Calendars.

Can you suggest any other way to create an all-day event in a Group Calendar in the timezone UTC+11?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,026)