cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry1567
Level: Powered On

Create a copy of an excel file, then write a series of rows into the table to the copy

Hi,

I am trying to generate an excel report based on an excel template using Microsoft Flow.

I have a reference excel spreadsheet, that will be copied into a separate file. This template has a table called DataTable that will be written to and used to display some fields for the report.

When the new copy is made, I would like to write some rows to this new copy's DataTable.

The template will have some lookups for the table that will display some data for the rows.
Ideally, the file can then be emailed, but I should be able to manage that, getting stuck on making a copy and then writing some rows to that file.

FieldData
Field 1Data 1
Field 2Data 2

flow.PNGFlow

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Create a copy of an excel file, then write a series of rows into the table to the copy

HI @Jerry1567 

As of now no, We can expect the new relases to include this feature. Meanwhile you might check:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/5/workarounds-needed-to-use-the-excel-connector-in-microsoft-flow

And this thread too:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/Can-t-set-dynamic-quot-file-quot-value-for-ex...

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Create a copy of an excel file, then write a series of rows into the table to the copy

Hi @Jerry1567 

Currently one of the limitations of the excel connectors is that you cannot pass the file name / table names dynamically,, referenced from variables etc. You have to select the file by clicking the folder icon and then manually selecting the file and then the table from the drop down. (In short, you cannot refereence to the file you are creating in this flow itself and the excel file should be already present at the source from where you want to access it). 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Jerry1567
Level: Powered On

Hi @yashag2255 ,

Thank your for your response.

Are there any workarounds to this or solutions using other microsoft services?

Thanks!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

HI @Jerry1567 

As of now no, We can expect the new relases to include this feature. Meanwhile you might check:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/5/workarounds-needed-to-use-the-excel-connector-in-microsoft-flow

And this thread too:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/Can-t-set-dynamic-quot-file-quot-value-for-ex...

Hope this Helps!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,754)